Increase membership

12 Posts
8 Users
1 Likes
15.7 K Views
Barry Birkey
(@barryb)
Topic starter

I own and run a discussion forum with over 30,000 members. Why has ABC decided to maintain a private web presence? I don't get it. The club ought to be making it as open as possible and letting the world see what we're up to. I firmly believe that being secluded keeps membership and member involvement low. I know I rarely post in this forum due to its low activity.

Posted : 04/10/2017 22:49
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

Some of us prefer quality over quantity. I have been a member of national organizations and state and local affiliates of those organizations. It seems that when anything gets over a certain size the organization seems to swallow up the subject. This organization supports the subject. The available technical expertise is among the best of any organization I have been a member of. ABC seems well focused on the subject which is of interest to a small segment of society. It's not for everybody. That is why I joined.

Posted : 04/15/2017 02:00
Dave Jensen reacted
Barry Birkey
(@barryb)
Topic starter

While I too value quality, I would argue that providing it has little to do with privacy, or a closed group. An open group draws from a much wider base of experience and keeps the "know-it-alls" from dominating discussion. With active proper moderation, an open forum will provide both quality and quantity, and promote what it is we love.

The group's Facebook page is more active than this forum, yet it is not user friendly for discussion. Posts quickly get shoved down to oblivion and forget trying to update a post one made a month or two before. Image size restrictions on FB don't help when a photo is needed for technical purposes.

Regards.

Posted : 04/15/2017 10:57
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Some of us prefer quality over quantity. This organization supports the subject. The available technical expertise is among the best of any organization I have been a member of.

I joined this Club specifically to gain some of that expertise. I enjoy reading Oak's monthly articles, but I tend to be more of an on-line, help me right now guy. Sadly now, Oak has passed. Scott adds his 2 cents, of course. But still, I'm straining my eyes to find all this expertise.

I owned an R60/6 back in the 80's. My "new" R100RT has been with me ~26 months. If I'm one of the "experts" you're referring to, then this Club is in trouble !!

🙂

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/26/2017 23:51
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

Wobbly you and 8053 helped me decide what bike to get. You said R100RS and RT were basically the same bike. 8053 gave some info on a K handlebar that when cut off a little at both ends would work on an RS and afford a more upright position.

You guys made up my mind to get either one and modify as needed. I had debated this for over a year. Thanks a lot. Everyone has at least one tidbit of info that someone can find useful. I had debated this for over a year.

I will never give up my 77 Yamaha XS 650 bar hopper but that thing will beat you to death on a long ride. Liked the R100RS when it first came out but very expensive and did not fit my crotch rocket addiction at the time. Airhead is the perfect touring bike for me. Gold Wings and other behemoths are more tractor/trailer rig. Everyone has at least one tidbit of info that someone can find useful. Just got my first Airmail today and will read it right now.

Posted : 04/27/2017 02:28
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Everyone has at least one tidbit of info that someone can find useful. Just got my first Airmail today and will read it right now.

Now the Airmail magazine IS a first class effort. I always enjoy that !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/27/2017 16:31
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Bret, thank you for joining the ABC. I think Scott has it exactly right. Wobbly is a pro mechanic and, in spite of his Mea Culpa, is a valuable contributor here.

Lately, there is an initiative to branch out to social media being circulated amongst the Airmarshals. I agree that it is a worthwhile effort. I am not a "social media" kind of cat. However, I have been allowed to recruit IL members who are savvy, to contribute and handle the effort for me/us. I hope that this effort takes hold. If it does, the kind of access you are describing is on it's way. I know that we, the ABC, can not live in the past. I just want the club to be the best it can be. I could prattle on about this topic for hours, but I will not do that. If anyone wants to talk this over, my e-mail and fone number are published in every copy of Airmail.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/22/2018 00:45
Thomas Brundage
(@ridefast99)
Trusted Member

SolvedPrivateReport

Who gives a rats ass about some guy Lucas that will not leave his house ...this is my last year with this club...boring boring...No one knows this guy or do we care  nor is it worthy of 3 pages ...is'nt this a motorcycle rag??? I am a long time member on and off ...but I'm going back to the MOA...better content and better  motorcycle news.Plus I can't stand the liberal feelings I get from you left coasters....The editor needs to go bye bye ....I had a brief conversation with her a year or so ago ...she seemed very arrogant ....see ya signed EAST COASTER

Posted : 02/10/2022 16:08
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Is there a new editor?

Posted : 02/12/2022 18:05
Thomas Brundage
(@ridefast99)
Trusted Member

@barryb...... Oh yes ...The dreaded know it all's ...lets not burst the bubbles of the closed minded click that is very evident here..

Posted : 03/07/2022 14:03
Howard Stender
(@howard-stender)
Eminent Member

@8166 very well stated.  I fully agree.  

Posted : 03/17/2022 07:19
Dave Jensen
(@dave-jensen)
Trusted Member

I for one am happy and grateful for joining and being accepted in the Airheads club. Being an old newbie with this 71 r75/5 project bike, this forum has helped big time. There are many details which cannot be found in manuals and thank goodness there are folks out there who contribute with their experience and knowledge to help keep these classics rolling. My opinion is that anyone who is genuinely interested in these airheads will find the club. Going the social media route,I think,would water it down with too much BS.

Posted : 03/21/2022 05:45

Advertisement

Scroll to top