Clear all

1970 R75/5 kickstand

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Daniel Fischer
(@18292)
Topic starter

Hello, 1st post so suspect I will screw it up......anyway, Dad's restored 1970 R75/5  (by me....three years in the making...he is now deceased, sadly) leans a lot with the side stand.  It seems the bolt/stock the kick stand pivots on is not replaceable.....It doesn't pivot with the kick stand.  Doesn't seem to have any way to remove/replace.   I can weld and am willing to "tack"  the bolt in position so the kick stand pivots correctly around the "stock/bolt"  and doesn't "sag" after it is on position.  Thought?   thanks

Posted : 12/30/2023 18:32
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum. Does the mount on the bike look ok? The side stand that came on my R110 RS had way too much lean so I replaced it with a Brown's stand that fixed everything right up. 

I'm sure smarter folks than me will chime in soon.

Posted : 12/31/2023 06:06
Daniel Fischer
(@18292)
Topic starter

Mike, it looks like the kickstand mount is integral to the frame?  I attached a picture and a video where you can see the play in the pivot pin.  

Posted : 12/31/2023 08:51
Daniel Fischer
(@18292)
Topic starter

Guess it didn’t like the video…here’s the picture.   Thanks for the comment 

Posted : 12/31/2023 08:53
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

Kinda hard to see the whole issue from the pic. Does it look like the mount to the frame is damaged at all and is straight?

My R65 LS also has a Brown's stand, they are a good product.

This post was modified 4 months ago by Mike Buhler

Posted : 01/02/2024 07:04
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Kick start model, right ??

Numerous bike brands of this era had side stands that were susceptible to bending because owners insisted on kick starting the bike on the side stand. The side stand is solely for parking, not starting or supporting the weight of people in any way. 

Americans were watching way too many Hells Angels-type movies back in the 70's and 80's !!  🤣 

This post was modified 4 months ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/02/2024 18:24
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

I agree with you there Richard, I never sit on any of my bikes on the side stand, only the centre stand. 

Posted : 01/03/2024 05:42
Daniel Fischer
(@18292)
Topic starter

Thanks for the input guys.  I suspect it was damaged like that.  I think the stand is straight...the pin the stand rotates on that should be part of the mount has some play in it (it looks like it should be one piece of metal with the frame).  Is there any issue welding this pin back sturdy?  Would welding damage the diode board or any electronics (I will disconnect battery)?  I'm not sure how to remove the stand other then drilling/cutting it off.  It appears to be part of the frame by the engine mount bolt?  I may just leave is the way it is and let it have excessive lean.  I live in the mountains and a lot of the parking is on a slope. Sometimes the extra sag to the uphill side is handy. Any parting thoughts would be appreciated.  Ride safe

Posted : 01/03/2024 09:56
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

In theory the stand should just come off with a couple of bolts. Sounds like this maybe a mod by the PO?

Posted : 01/03/2024 10:31
Daniel Fischer
(@18292)
Topic starter

I found this picture on a video.  In the center of the picture you can see the motor mount that is an integral part of the frame.  It has a pin that sticks out (the other three mounts don't have the pin).  The kickstand pivots around that pin.  On my bike the pin is broken and has play in it, enough to make the bike sag more than it should.  The mount and the pin are a welded on part of the frame.  Still trying to figure out how the actual stand came off.  It seems like it was pressed into place....maybe could get it off with a bearing puller type setup?

Posted : 01/03/2024 15:19
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Early side stands had a welded lug on the frame that was integral to the operation of the side stand.  Breaking that lug meant the stand would lean more than usual.

The fix is to remove the stand and weld the lug.   It has been a dozen years or more since I had one of these apart so sorry I can't recall the exact method to disassemble the stand.   Searching my teflon memory I believe that removing the front engine mount assembly may have something to do with it all coming apart.

As for welding the part, I would take the precaution of disconnecting the negative ground wire and the positive battery cables.  I would go so far as to perhaps pull the Red terminal on the diode board as well.  The welder should have the frame grounded before he welds but of course current flows and I would try to isolate the items to protect.  Sorry I can't write much better instructions the last time I had this lug welded it was on a bare frame for a restoration bike.  Good luck, St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 01/03/2024 18:38
Daniel Fischer
(@18292)
Topic starter

Thanks Steven.  That seems be be the situation on this bike.  If you come across any info on removing the stand from the pin on the frame I'd appreciate it.  I think I can weld the pin with the kickstand on (it's a couple inches away from where the welding would be done)  It would just require removing the exhaust pipe to get better access.  Take care

Posted : 01/03/2024 20:51
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

Good luck!

Posted : 01/04/2024 07:20
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @18292

Is there any issue welding this pin back sturdy? Would welding damage the diode board or any electronics (I will disconnect battery)? I'm not sure how to remove the stand other then drilling/cutting it off. It appears to be part of the frame by the engine mount bolt?

I think the greater fear is fire, started by spilled gasoline or vapors... and then spreading to other flammable items such as the air intake tubes, seat and wiring. Even with the fuel tank removed, many vapors remain which have a very low flash point.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/05/2024 09:29
Daniel Fischer
(@18292)
Topic starter

@wobbly Great point.  Thanks

Posted : 01/05/2024 21:04
Page 1 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top