Clear all

1980 R65 Mechanical Advance Grease?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
John Brusso
(@mufflerbearing)
Topic starter

Hi all, I am refurbishing the mechanical advance on my 1980 R65. The RPM's often hang up, and are slow to come down from medium to higher RPM's. About a year ago I sprayed a little lithium grease in there which worked for a few months, but this time I'm going all the way in. I have already removed and disassembled the entire advance unit so that I can lubricate it and also install new mechanical advance springs. I will also install a new point and condenser while I'm at it. So my question is: Is there a special grease or lubricant I should be using on the shafts that the mechanical advance weights pivot on?
Thanks in advance for any help gang.

Posted : 03/18/2020 00:14
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Can't recommend a specific grease. But any high temp rated grease with molybdenum should be OK.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/18/2020 08:36
John Brusso
(@mufflerbearing)
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly.
I have some Lithium Grease (not the spray), I think I'll try.

Posted : 03/18/2020 13:00
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Lithium is waterproof, but not especially noted for high temp. Don't you have some black wheel bearing grease ??

Posted : 03/18/2020 13:14
John Brusso
(@mufflerbearing)
Topic starter

Hi Wobbly, the packaging on the Lithium does say it's suitable for high temp applications. But, if you think the wheel bearing grease or molybdenum is better, than I'll go with that.

Posted : 03/18/2020 21:04
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It may be, I simply don't think of Lithium in those terms. What ever you choose, a synthetic may stand up longer. I think the issue is mainly old springs anyway.

Hope that gets you going.

Posted : 03/19/2020 20:30
John Brusso
(@mufflerbearing)
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly.
I am now just waiting for the springs to arrive. When they do, I'll test the old against the new by hanging a small weight from each to see how much they sag under load.

Posted : 03/20/2020 21:37

Advertisement

Scroll to top