Clear all

1984 R100CS Battery Replacement

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Charles Sleep
(@charles-sleep)
Topic starter

I have about a four year old flooded generic 53030 that is done and would like to replace it with an AGM. What can I put in it? RealOEM doesn't tell me a lot, as for the Haynes manual. When I search online, I get 25ah, 28ah, 30ah and 180cca up to well over 300cca. Can someone suggest the spec and part number for my best option? Thanks!

Posted : 08/21/2021 17:53
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @charles-sleep

I have about a four year old flooded generic 53030 that is done and would like to replace it with an AGM. What can I put in it? RealOEM doesn't tell me a lot, as for the Haynes manual. When I search online, I get 25ah, 28ah, 30ah and 180cca up to well over 300cca. Can someone suggest the spec and part number for my best option? Thanks!

Thoughts....

@ It's not only the spec and AH rating, but also the battery post positions ! There is a very common lawn mower and Harley battery that you can find very cheaply at your LAPS. This battery has the correct external physical SIZE, but the wrong battery post locations. Negative ends up on the LH side, and this means the cables need to be longer in order to reach. 

@ I would suggest a sealed AGM. They are much cleaner to have on the bike, and do not have all the post corrosion and acid spoiling of the OEM type battery. However, any AGM will require a new Voltage Regulator specifically set up for AGM charge rates. 

@ An AGM which I have used on 3 or 4 Airheads (none GS) and an RS1100 Oilhead is the Odyssey PC680. This is a US-made AGM that meets  all the CCA and power requirements of the Airhead, even though it is about half the physical size. This means you will not be able to use the stock hold-down hardware. I simply use 24" cable ties to strap it into position against the rear of the stock battery box. The battery stands about 3mm too high due to the vertical terminals, and there is some minor rubbing on the bottom of the R100 battery box by the terminals. You can read about them and decide....

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/ods-agm16l-battery-pc680/

On my current RS the smaller physical size allowed the shrinking of the battery box to allow more access to the rear of the gearbox, which has been very useful during maintenance, AND for re-positioning the Negative battery cable.

During the "off season" all I've had to do to maintain my PC680's is to disconnect the Negative cable from the battery. Over the last 10 years with Odyssey I've had ZERO issues. Shipping Lead anything is always expensive, so I've purchased on Amazon and gotten their free shipping. 

Hope this helps.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/22/2021 06:00
Charles Sleep
(@charles-sleep)
Topic starter

@wobbly 

Thanks Richard, that does help. I was watching the dimensions closely as the previous owner had used an oversized lawn tractor battery which necessitated the disassembly of the frame for removal. I currently have the cheap Harley dealer battery that fits properly. I hadn't considered the slower charging rate of an AGM, it would be much simpler and less expensive to just go back to HD for another flooded lead acid battery. The nearest shop with BMW experience is 600 km and my last electrical work cost me a coil. Another factor is the Omega upgrade I had done a few years ago. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Charles Sleep

Posted : 08/22/2021 08:35

Advertisement

Scroll to top