Swing Arms, Wheel Bearing Shims

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
David Wallace
(@david-wallace)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm close to getting my '72 R75/5 back on the road after an extensive rebuild (heads, timing chain, clutch, all seals, etc) but have a couple questions maybe you all can help me with.

Haynes manual says 75 ft #'s of torque for the swing arm pivot shaft lock nuts.  Sounds like a lot, is that correct?

What is the grease fitting I need for my grease gun to lube the swing arm bearings?  What's it called, and can I get it at a regular auto parts store? 

Scotties appears to be out of wheel bearing shims for a while now, any idea where I can get some?

Thanks.  -  Dave

Posted : 08/24/2021 11:11
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @david-wallace

What is the grease fitting I need for my grease gun to lube the swing arm bearings?  What's it called, and can I get it at a regular auto parts store?  

You need a Needle Nozzle, but don't buy a whole new grease gun, all you need is an adapter. 

Needle Nozzle Adapter on Amazon

There are about 10 different versions on Amazon, or at your LAPS. It snaps onto your existing grease gun and gives you the ability to insert grease into tight places. Use it on other squeaky garden equipment and such by drilling a 1/16" dia hole. Really a handy tool to have around. 

To use it on the Airhead, simply insert it all the way into the hex wrench hole in the center, press lightly home, and start pumping. 

Hope this helps. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/24/2021 12:29
David Wallace
(@david-wallace)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Scott

Posted : 08/24/2021 16:18
David Wallace
(@david-wallace)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly