1990 R100gs clutch

26 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
22.2 K Views
Gerard Garra
(@jagarra)
Eminent Member

If i understood the prior conditions correctly, this issue with losing clutch adjustment happened before you took everything apart and replaced the clutch. So everything we would think was causing this issue has been changed and the problem is still there. Now we are down to transmission, which I am doubtful about, because how can anything happen internally that would cause a distance going through it to become longer. When the transmission was out did you tried to push the flywheel in and out to see if there was any endplay in the crank?

Posted : 08/08/2017 13:53
Steven Knaak
(@14991)
Topic starter

I tryed to measure it. I think there was about 3 thousands. But I didn't have my dial indacater was setting on the exhaust didn't have the right end to hook to the engine. It did not fill right I could not tell there was any play with out it. If I pull the pan can I see the back shim?

Posted : 08/08/2017 14:19
Steven Knaak
(@14991)
Topic starter

I guess it would be the front shim

Posted : 08/08/2017 14:21
Gerard Garra
(@jagarra)
Eminent Member

If you have the .003" end play on the crank, that sounds like it may be correct. If you had the .125" that you say the shaft is not out far enough, that much end play on the crank would be noticeable. After pondering this over lunch I have to go back to the transmission even though I pooh poohed it a bit ago. The only thing I can think of that is left is the input shaft of the transmission has broken loose from a retainer and has moved forward. The nose is pushing against diaphragm partially compressing it and moving it away from the end of the clutch rod and allowing the clutch rod to move in deeper.
When you slid the transmission back up against the engine case did it slide forward all the way flush or was there a gap that you had to pull up tight using the bolts?

Posted : 08/08/2017 16:10
Steven Knaak
(@14991)
Topic starter

The seal seems to be running were it should on the input shaft i think the tranny is ok. Ihad the tranny out a few times and have seen nothing wrong

Posted : 08/08/2017 18:21
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Did you "block up" the alternator before removing the flywheel ?

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/08/2017 19:03
Steven Knaak
(@14991)
Topic starter

I havent pulled flywheel off but it was done at a dealer a few years ago. I learned my lesson on that the hard way.do you think i need to look at the shims?

Posted : 08/08/2017 19:45
Steven Knaak
(@14991)
Topic starter

I let a shim drop down one time

Posted : 08/08/2017 20:02
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Do you think i need to look at the shims?

I have never personally been that far into a BMW Airhead engine, I simply know that one has to "block up" the alternator to keep the crankshaft shim in place. But that's also the only way I know that unexplained axial play can be introduced into the area of the engine/ clutch/ gearbox which might explain your dilemma.

What damage occurs when the shims fall out is therefore beyond my knowledge base, so I'm really not qualified to answer your question. We can always assume that if the shims weren't necessary, then BMW wouldn't install them. Therefore, measuring the crankshaft axial play from the front cover end of the engine might be worthwhile.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/09/2017 09:14
Steven Knaak
(@14991)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the help I will let you know what I find.

Posted : 08/10/2017 02:02
Jan Kurth
(@15918)

Hi,Airheads!I'm the owner of the pd.in this clutch topic.I have come to the conclusion that the crankshaft has moved towards the front.all the new clutch parts are in too far,so it can't work.Crank is not loose it seems just in too far.Has anyone seen this condition? Is it possible? Do I need a bottom end rebuild? Thank to everyone for all the input.

Posted : 08/13/2017 12:37
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top