Clear all

92 R100/RT loss of engine breaking

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Russell Champion
(@4075)
Topic starter

The bike recently displays little or no engine breaking when backing of the throttle and downshifting through the gears 3-2-1.  This occurs from 3500 RPMs down.  It is like pulling in the clutch and coasting down in speed.  Applying the breaks are required.  The valves are set to the proper points.  The carbs seem to be properly set.  The 2 rubber grommets fro the carbs to the cylinders are new and tight.  The bike was just returned from the shop having the transmission rebuilt.  I hope that you can provide assistance in correcting my problem.

Posted : 09/07/2022 09:59
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Wild guess here. Clutch slipping, maybe? It's not unusual to have to re-adjust the clutch cable and throw out mechanism after a transmission remove and replace operation. The carbs, intake sleeve and valve adjustment would have no bearing on the drive line. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 09/08/2022 08:08
Russell Champion
(@4075)
Topic starter

Thanks for your suggestion but I submit that the cycle operation thru acceleration and other routine operations do not display any slipping of the clutch.  

I should further explain that I am running with an EnDuraLast Alternator Kit, installed May 2012. I can't imagine this would have any impact on this issue. 

Posted : 09/08/2022 11:18
Richard W
(@wobbly)

My guesses are:

• The clutch may be slipping. Despite all appearances to the contrary, please check for free-play in the actuator arm. 

• Idle set too high. Does the engine idle just below 1000 RPM when the engine is fully warm ? Was the carb setting checked/set by ear or with some type of carb gauge ?

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/08/2022 14:26
Russell Champion
(@4075)
Topic starter

I will check and get back to you

Posted : 09/09/2022 05:11
Russell Champion
(@4075)
Topic starter

The measurements for adjusting the clutch operating clearance are found to be within the recommended specs.

I admit that the idle speed was too high, 1700.  I adjusted it down to 900 ..1100 and find the engine breaking to be improved. 

We can consider this case to be closed.

Russ

Posted : 09/15/2022 13:56
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Great news.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/16/2022 05:32

Advertisement

Scroll to top