Towing A Trailer With An Airhead

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I know Airhead towing has been done before, many times over, but maybe not recently. I bought a Hannigan Sierra trailer, to tow behind my GoldWing, but would also like to tow it with the 1995 R100RT. The Sierra weighs 200 pounds empty, and is said to be the second best towing motorcycle trailer, per the GoldWing community. Supposedly, it has minimum 'snatch' at the hitch, and is very aerodynamic, so GoldWings only lose about 5 percent gas mileage. I am scheduled to take possession of the Sierra this Monday, and will tow it behind the GoldWing a few thousand miles first, with a trip to Colorado scheduled next month. But in order to get the most out of the trailer investment, I also wanna be able to tow it behind the Airhead.

As for tow hitch for a mono shock, I understand about the only option is to modify a twin shock hitch. I see one advertised on-line, and several pics also online, including one from Reynolds, and one made by some other company. They both also look fairly easy to fabricate.

Does anyone here have any experience towing with an Airhead? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated, including tow hitch setup. I know it is dangerous, but don't really care for those kinda comments.

Thanks Much 

Posted : 08/27/2022 11:31
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Thoughts....
> Can you possibly detail your overall towing experience? For the novice, even experience with automobiles can be helpful.
> The trailer maker is probably going to suggest a certain amount of weight be placed on the hitch, and their suggestions should be closely followed. Keeping a second bathroom scale in the shop could end up being handy.
> From experience I can say that changing the shock spring on a single-sided can be daunting. First will be high cost & low selection; second will be the need for spring compression tools.

Let us know how it progresses.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/29/2022 05:02
Joe Hall reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top