7 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

NDS= Never Doubt Snowbum

I generally  trust his wisdom, but after my latest experience, my faith is increased!

I was having trouble bleeding the brake having replaced the brake hose on my R75/7 (for the second time, don't ask.) That first time, even though I also replaced the brake light switch, I had no trouble getting a firm brake quickly. This time, though I tried pressuring and vacuum, it would just not firm up. Then I read on his page that air may be trapped behind the switch, and to tilt the master cylinder overnight. I tapped it a few times with a plastic mallet and let it sit overnight. Voila: firm brake!

Now, if only I could get the pad adjusted better....

Posted : 08/23/2022 07:15
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

I don’t know your bike, but, if it has an ATE swinging caliper;  I adjust mine easily with great success. Make certain the eccentric pin turns freely. I insert a tool (home-made wide flat blade “screwdriver”) in the eccentric pin and rock it back and forth as I (or helper) SLOWLY squeezes the brake lever. You will feel the caliper home-in on the perfect spot. You can do it a few times to be certain. Once happy, then I hold the brake firmly while installing the spring and cap, to be sure nothing moves. 

Posted : 08/26/2022 19:53
Joe Hall reacted
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks, but I have successfully (finally!) got it adjusted so it passes the marker test, wiping the whole surface. Its still just not great and I realize it never will be so. 

Posted : 08/29/2022 13:31
Richard W
(@wobbly)

If your old pads have worn at a strange angle, then you might want to install a new pair.

If you don't know how old your pads are, then you might want to install new pads to get the latest compounds. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/14/2022 07:52
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Pads are new.

Posted : 09/14/2022 20:49
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @rider17

Its still just not great and I realize it never will be so. 

• And did you swap ALL the OEM flexible brake hoses over to those with braided stainless steel reinforcement ??

• I agree, single piston calipers will never stop like the latest 4 or 6 piston calipers. When you ride a vintage 40+ year old bike you don't get to set expectations higher than other bikes of the era. A 1970-something Airhead is never going to stop as good as its 21st Century stablemate, so any comparisons to modern brakes are useless. Your bike can only be compared to similar year models.

The futility of unequal comparison was brought home to me in spades when I was offered a ride on a 1917 Sunbeam with hand shift, foot clutch and band brakes. I just rode around the block, but that was enough of a "thrill" for 4 lifetimes. I got the hang of shifting very quickly, but the brakes only hinted at slowing the machine from 35 MPH. I was never so glad to get off a classic bike !

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/21/2022 06:18
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

No, again, Snowbum: new BMW lines, not braided. 

Posted : 09/21/2022 21:21

Advertisement

Scroll to top