Adjusting headset - 1993 GSPD

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

On my new-to-me 1993 R100GS PD I can't adjust the headset. Yes, I loosened the two parts above the headset (lock ring and bolt), and I loosened the lower triple tree stanchion bolts... But then I cannot turn the adjuster. It is just a wheel that appears to be a finger adjuster only. I've tried a few times and it just won't go tighter. 

Why do I want to do this? The headset is nice and smooth and has been replaced, but it's loose enough to drop easily to one side or the other, too easily. And when slowing down it gets a speed wobble. On a previous R100 I had the same thing and just a little tighter on the headset and the wobble vanished. 

thanks!

Posted : 09/22/2020 09:04
Richard W
(@wobbly)

► If the adjuster (under the fork crown) will not move (loosen or tighten), then it is frozen in-place due to LocTite, rust, or some other impediment. That will surely need to be corrected.

► If the adjuster will only loosen, then you may be running out of threads on the triple tree. 3 decades of off-road pounding may have collapsed some part of the head post bearing stack. You may need to add a hardened washer (of approx 0.020" thk) to the stack so that you can get that final adjustment. 

Although these type flat castle nuts are fairly common in industry and the automotive world, I'm not aware of a source for standardized sockets to that you can use to easily apply torque using a long "pull bar" type socket wrench handle. I simply use the wrench supplied with my Hagon shocks, and tap the end of the 6" handle with one of those non-marring, shot filled hammers.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/23/2020 04:52
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@wobbly Yes, I can't budge it either way. Guess I have to dig down a bit, break the adjuster free and see if I need to put in a spacer. Thanks!

Posted : 09/25/2020 06:26
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Correct. You must first get the system into a state that allows adjustment, before you can make an adjustment that corrects the situation.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/25/2020 06:43

Advertisement

Scroll to top