Balancing the rear wheel R100GSPD

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Finally rev'd myself up to change the tires on a 1993 R100GSPB. Going to less aggressive metzlers.

Pulled off the rear thinking (wrongly) that I could use an old axel to balance it off the bike. Come to realize the monolever single sided suspension has no axel or what I thought, a slot that might take an axel... so I can't see how you're supposed to balance it. Special tool?

thanks

Posted : 07/12/2020 15:54
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I'm total a cave man balancer. Used an old bicycle truing stand for a while - then build a simple jig out of wood. It actually works pretty well.

But thanks, you give me some good ideas. All you really need is the ability to see the wheel to spin freely.

thanks

Posted : 07/12/2020 19:31
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Yes, like Scot said. A special axle with inward facing cones is used to "chuck up" the wheel. Then when everything is tight, that axle sets on 2 new bearings with very light lubrication.

You can buy these type generic balancers at general tool stores, but you may need a lathe to trim the cones to work on a BMW wheel.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/12/2020 21:50
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I found this online - really, really nice. Marc sent exactly the right balancer and it works great. Can be used on both the GSPD and the R90/6Not cheap, but beautifully manufactured. Here's what I purchased: BML kit and a set of BA17 adapters - www.marcparnes.com

Posted : 07/19/2020 13:05
Richard W
(@wobbly)

That's exactly what you need.

You also need to know, new tires are marked (one side only) with a paint dot at the lightest part of the tire. The valve stem is considered the heavy part of the wheel. So the paint dot is always placed next to the valve stem. This will reduce the number of weights needed for balance.

Go for it !!

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/19/2020 18:48

Advertisement

Scroll to top