Clear all

Choke Return

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Paul Andry
(@13381)
Topic starter

I have a 1973 R75/6. After rebuilding the Bing carburetors, I used the choke lever to start the engine. After returning the lever to the closed position, the chokes on both carburetors stayed open and the cables just rose up from their seats. I had to push the choke levers on both carburetors closed with my finger. Do these carburetors have an external spring that's missing? I didn't see a spring in the microfiche. Is there an internal spring? It's not that big of a problem, now that I know what to do - just bothersome. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any input...

Posted : 06/24/2017 00:43
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

There should be guides that the wound metal sheaths of the choke cables are screwed in to. These guides are threaded in to the ears on the carb domes. The correct order of assembly would be cables into guides, guides into carb ears, other end of choke cables into the choke lever mechanism. The choke cables for our early airheads are mono filament metaĺ wire cable wrapped in spring steel sheaths. It is the interface between the steel wound cable sheath and the guides thàt allow the choke lever to close the enricher lèvers on the inboard side of the càrbs. Some owners eliminate the choke lever assembly and use shortened pieces of mono filament as individual actuators for each carb.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 06/24/2017 12:03
Richard W
(@wobbly)

8053's description matches what I have found. Screw the cable end adjuster back onto the cable sheath, then re-install the adjuster back onto the carb.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/24/2017 16:01
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

If the choke cables have braided center wire, you have the wrong, later style choke cables. These need return springs to close the enrichers.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 06/24/2017 23:24
Paul Andry
(@13381)
Topic starter

Thanks! I had no idea that the guides screwed onto the cable sheaths. I just went outside and completed the task with my flashlight - all works as you said it would - another problem solved. With several airheads in my past, this is the first one with a working choke lever. I appreciate your (and Wobbly's) advice.

Posted : 06/24/2017 23:28

Advertisement

Scroll to top