Clutch Adjustment-

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Jayson Yates
(@rowdy)
Topic starter

Hey all
I think I maybe trying to adjust a stretched cable. I set the handle lever at about 2mm gap nut in/out, actuator arm at a 90 degree angle with the cable. A few adjustments I came close and the bike had good power but slight slipping at high RPMs and hi speeds at other time surging when hand lever pushed all the way in but I haven't been able to fine tune it to optimum. well now i cant get it to engage at all. did i damage the clutch itself? throw rod tip? bearings? friction plates? it sounds as if its a bicycle with loose brakes and dry brake pads trying to noisily stop a loud steel rim. its like the plates are stuck maybe or ??? I'm a novice and going crazy not being able to get out on the open road and ride

Posted : 10/26/2016 04:22
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but...

If you have free-play in the handle bar lever AND free-play in the lever on the gearbox, then you have to consider that your clutch simply may be going bad. Obviously, having a sidecar (more weight and more frontal area) places more wear on a clutch plate.

"Clutch going bad" is always foretold by slipping at higher speeds where wind pressure becomes the greatest load on the transmission of power to the rear wheel. If the slipping continues at high speeds, the wear will eventually progress to lower and lower speeds.

Hope I'm wrong. All the best.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 10/26/2016 12:31
Matt Parkhouse
(@778)

Check the clutch plate! New ones are 6mm thick. They are used up at 4.5mm. They usually work until 4mm or so. When you are measuring, measure the outside and the inside edge of the friction material. If there is a difference of more than several 0.1mm, the pressure plates are "dished" as well and ought to be replaced. If the two measurements are close together, you can just toss in a new plate.....

Posted : 11/07/2016 13:35
Matt Parkhouse
(@778)

Check the clutch plate! New ones are 6mm thick. They are used up at 4.5mm. They usually work until 4mm or so. When you are measuring, measure the outside and the inside edge of the friction material. If there is a difference of more than several 0.1mm, the pressure plates are "dished" as well and ought to be replaced. If the two measurements are close together, you can just toss in a new plate.....

Matt Parkhouse

Posted : 11/07/2016 13:37

Advertisement

Scroll to top