FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Driveshaft U-joint lubrication  

Greg Balas
(@10)
Active Member Expired Membership

I just finished doing my 10K mile service on the rebuilt Henderson Precision driveshaft. 

In order to access the U-joint grease fittings, the driveshaft has to be removed.  It would be nice if the service could be done without removing the driveshaft.

On re-assembly I noticed that the front grease fitting is accessible by peeling back the front rubber boot.  I could get new grease into the front U-joint without removing the driveshaft from the swingarm.  

The rear U-joint, however, is inaccessible unless the driveshaft is removed from the swingarm.

Here's the question: Has anybody cut an access hole in the swingarm to allow service of the rear U-joint?

Greg B #10

Topic starter Posted : 11/08/2020 22:24
Scot Marburger
(@8166)
Member Moderator

I don't know anyone that's done that, Greg, but since the DS with greasable u-joints is only a recent thing, you may be the first one to think of that. Yes, it's a PITA to get the drive shaft splines to re-engage on the final drive, but it only has to be done every 25,000 miles or so. Not sure I'd risk compromising the structural integrity of the swing arm casting, even to save myself from what in the past has been a pretty frustrating task.

One technique I've had some success with is to hold the swingarm housing vertically, and very carefully lower the DS with the u-joint straight until I feel it just kiss the final drive splines. Then I slowly rotate the DS and repeatedly and gently peck at the final drive until the two slip together. Peck too hard and the u-joint will need to come back out to be straightened again, and it'll still take several tries to get it right.

Good luck, and let us know how your new hole works out! 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2020 10:41
Greg Balas
(@10)
Active Member Expired Membership

Hey Scot,

Installing the driveshaft in the swingarm was not a problem.  I positioned the swingarm vertical and tied it to the side of the bike.

Gently lowered the driveshaft into the deep, dark tunnel until I felt it contact the rear drive. 

With the other hand I turned the rear drive using the wheel bolts.  The driveshaft mated with the rear drive on the second try.

Is there a good way to check for alignment of the swingarm to the frame?  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/09/2020 15:22

Advertisement

Scroll to top