3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
John Bernetich
(@johnb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Folks
I need some help with a new problem with my 82 R100 RT. Rider behind me noticed that my rear brake light was always on. Looking at the brake lever I noticed that it was a little sloppy with about 1/4 inch play. If I manually push the lever forward to its stop, the brake light goes out. I am hoping that it will be a bad switch and not something to do with the master cylinder. Is the brake lever held against the stop by the valve or spring of the master cyclinder or is a faulty brake switch causing my problem?
Thanks for any help or suggestions before ripping it apart.

Posted : 03/10/2020 14:16
Scott Fleming
(@13807)

It reads like your switch is working correctly and the lever is not fully retracting. It may be time for a master cylinder rebuild, it could just need a good clean up, or something in between. I would focus on why the level does not return fully to its stop without your assistance.

Posted : 03/18/2020 03:13
John Bernetich
(@johnb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Right on !I Disassembled the front master cylinder fully expecting a rusty mess that was preventing the piston to fully extend. The bore was clean and shiny but the front where the snap ring was located was caked with with grease and dirt. I thoroughly cleaned all parts; reassembled and changed the fluid. All is well. Thanks for your reply

Posted : 03/18/2020 20:13

Advertisement

Scroll to top