Clear all

Pressure in Gas Tank - 1976 R90/6

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Dave Gilmore
(@beemertrash)
Topic starter

When I open my gas cap I get lots of pressure being released from the tank, sounds like maybe the cap is not venting. It is the flip style aluminum cap. I have no idea how to check to see if the cap is venting or if not how to fix it.
Any ideas ?
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Posted : 03/14/2020 15:54
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It's common for fuel caps to loose their vent. The flip style cap and later models have DOT approved vents that won't allow fuel to spill out in case of a wreck. So these later styles are much closer fitting vent parts and are therefore much more apt to incur this issue.

These style caps cannot be disassembled for repair, but the item that is misbehaving is a simple little neoprene flapper valve. Often times you can get them to begin behaving if you'll alternately squirt carb cleaners and high pressure compressed air in and around their interior, from the tank side. You shouldn't need to remove the cap from the tank to do this.

I guess in an extreme case you could remove the cap and soak it, but I've never had to do that.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/14/2020 21:13
Dave Gilmore
(@beemertrash)
Topic starter

Thanks for the response, I found the vent hole and it was clogged, I sprayed some carb spray and high pressure air and it seemed to clean it out. I will keep a eye on this in the future, but releasing the cap will let me know in the future if it happens again. Have a great weekend.

Posted : 03/14/2020 22:14
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Glad it worked out.

The older I get, the more important I find releasing gas pressure to be.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/18/2020 08:28
Dave Gilmore
(@beemertrash)
Topic starter

Good reply, you are a funny guy. That is a true statement for sure.

Posted : 03/18/2020 12:14

Advertisement

Scroll to top