GS vibrations

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

New to me 1993 R100GS PD. Exceptional condition. Really lucky to have found this bike, but as I start to ride it I find there's an awful lot of vibration through the seat.

Previous owner said it was the old (6 yrs) tires, which are the knobbier Metzler Enduros. I have some replacement tires are smoother Tourance (although they are also on the older side 5yrs). But here’s the thing. When I throw the clutch and just roll I don’t feel a lot of vibration, but with the clutch in and I raise the revs to 3,000 I feel that vibration. I think it might be the engine not the tires.

Do any GS riders know what I’m feeling? Is this the normal vibration for this model? I certainly do not feel this on my R90/6 or on an R100/7

I haven’t swapped the tires since I’m afraid it might not help to put on the smoother Tourance. What do you think?

Posted : 03/08/2020 18:18
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Drive shaft. I have never owned one of those models, but legend has it that the u-joint can wear out due to the exaggerated angle at which it operates. There is a reason that a few shops specialize in drive shaft re-building. By comparison, the drive shaft of a /6 or /7 operate in a smaller range of travel and usually in a straight , mostly horizontal line.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 03/09/2020 13:23
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the advice. Here's where I am right now.

I swapped out the Corbin for the original BMW saddle and it's a marked improvement. I finally noticed it's the engine revs felt mostly through the seat. That Corbin is very stiff and I think transmitting a ton of vibration. It's a little surprising to me since I've ridden R100s before (81 R100RS) so the bigger engine and all. But this one has more vibration, particularly on that rock hard saddle. I'm going to bring it to an upholster who does a lot of m-cycles saddles. See what he suggests to redo the Corbin.

I put the Twin Max on the carbs and it was right on from idle to 3000 rpm.
Also, the previous owner, a BMW mechanic checked the driveshaft (all tight joints, no binding, like new) and resealed the rear drive. Oh and he rebuilt the tranny.

Will keep you appraised.
thanks again.

Posted : 03/11/2020 18:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have made huge improvements in Airhead vibration by setting the ignition timing with a strobe at high RPM.

You can try that.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/11/2020 20:39

Advertisement

Scroll to top