Clear all

Gas tank replacement

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Jim Comrie
(@alwaysred)
Topic starter

New to BMW motorcycles - most specifically to airheads. Found a low mile (30K) '85 R80RT for a bargain price. Has been stored inside and ignored for 5+ years. The fuel tank is rusted badly - like right through. SO - I need a replacement tank. I figure the likelihood of finding a solid tank in Colorado red is highly unlikely (prove me wrong?). I didn't even investigate a new BMW tank (in primer?) .... this is not a restoration. Ebay shows scads of replacement tanks - apparently all coming from India.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R100-RT-RS-R90-R80-R75-Motorcycle-Painted-Fuel-Tank-With-Monza-Cap/224032297747?hash=item34295d9313:g:fzwAAOSwgPhe1nyW

Just a bit leery of sending $400 off to a third world country in hopes of getting something that will fit AND it would be nice if it were liquid tight.

So! What I'm asking is if anybody has purchased a tank manufactured in Delhi - what their experience was? TIA

PS - I did try to search the forum ..... reference to India gas tank didn't bear any fruit.

Posted : 07/19/2020 19:01
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have seen the classic 60's Triumph tanks made in India and they are very, very nice. I did not buy one, and a US-based seller was selling those on Ebay. On the other hand, I took a chance on a rusted tank. The paint job was $650. When the rust gave way 24 months later, it was an additional $750 to get the new tank painted to match the fenders.

I'm with you, wait for a US seller. But neither do you want to have $1300 in paint jobs.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/19/2020 20:10
john stirling
(@arni)
Trusted Member

gas tanks typically rust out along the bottom seams and around the petcock hole. This damage can be repaired, the tank relined and then painted. OTOH I recently sold two tanks on ebay that would have fitted your bike, were rock solid with good OEM liners and both needed paint, one severely. They went fast in the $350 to $450 range. I have one left to sell, excellent everything that I will probably ask in the $500 range for. Will not fit your bike. Typically used eBay tanks need at least relining and people don't want to deal with it.

Posted : 07/23/2020 22:36
Jim Wells
(@14591_1599590718)

Gas tanks have been an issue on two of my recent Airhead projects. On an '83 R100T I spent $$$ to have a very nice Datona Orange paint job done, only to find pinholes in the bottom of the tank when I put the first gas in it. (it didn't leak before the paint job) I used a reseal kit from Caswell that was easy and worked well. On a '92 GS with a very rusty tank, an independent BMW specialty shop farmed out the reseal job to a guy who really @#$%& it up. Plugged the internal vent line and didn't clean at all before adding sealant. A couple of hundred miles later the sealant starts falling off and there's fine rust powder in the carbs even downstream of the inline filters. I've now rigged up a truly Rube Goldberg arrangement using my old South Bend metal lathe and some fabricated bracketry to rotate the tank slowly with some crushed stone inside acting as "tumbling media" . If it works, I have two other tanks in need of the same treatment.

Posted : 07/29/2020 16:29

Advertisement

Scroll to top