Clear all

How do I unbend passenger footpeg

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Andrew Baker
(@andrew-baker)
Topic starter

Any good ideas on how to unbend the passenger footpeg?

The only good pry point is the swing arm and that seems like a not great idea.

It's bent down, not up, because the shop was trying to demonstrate how well balanced my sidecar rig is by standing on the peg and trying to lift the sidecar. Not an unusual test but it's supposed to be done with the driver's peg attached to the frame not the passenger one attached to sheet metal.

Not taking it back to the shop. They've proven their competence level.

Thanks in advance,

Drew

PS. Apologies but I cross posted to advrider because not everyone reads both.

Attached Files:

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Andrew Baker

Posted : 12/21/2021 10:38
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Smack it with a big hammer. Or if you have the clearance, position it so that you can get a large adjustable wrench on there and bend it back. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/21/2021 22:38
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

You probably have this repaired by now, but anyway;  I would install a long-ish grade 8 bolt in the hole where the foot peg goes in the “arm”, with a nut tightened front and back.  Then I would find a long piece of pipe to fit over the bolt and use it as a lever to bend things back. 

Posted : 12/24/2021 14:34
Andrew Baker reacted
Andrew Baker
(@andrew-baker)
Topic starter

The mount is a tube with a small rolled edge holding it in. You can almost see it in the rolledboss picture under the nut.

I was afraid yanking on the peg would pull that tube through at the bottom so I put some large washers to spread the load and hopefully bend the sheet metal a bit in the process. Then I tried to bend it back

It helped but didn't fix it.

My buddy rides with his passenger pegs rotated forward so it's like having foot boards. I did that to these and it helps lessen the downward angle of the peg.

If I don't like the floorboard layout, I'll try some percussive maintenance on the sheet metal the next time I take off the wheel.

Thanks for the suggestions.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Andrew Baker

Posted : 01/09/2022 09:43
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Would your buddy enjoy having footboards? I have some.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/09/2022 22:19
Andrew Baker
(@andrew-baker)
Topic starter

@wobbly 

He probably would.  Tried to find a way to message you but was unsuccessful.  Please message/email me

Posted : 01/16/2022 12:28

Advertisement

Scroll to top