Clear all

Installing crankshaft

19 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Richard W
(@wobbly)

@14517

Allow me to follow-up with the obvious...

The ignition will be ON to activate the starter motor, so the spark plugs must be in the caps and laying on the cyl head so that they can freely spark. This will keep you from burning up the ignition coils. 

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/10/2020 09:38
Corey Knapp
(@14517)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for that tip. I probably wouldn’t have done that and then wondered why the coils didn’t work.

Posted : 11/10/2020 10:09
Corey Knapp
(@14517)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I installed the engine in the frame and “primed” the oil pump and galleys as mentioned above.  Yesterday i attached the carbs and gas tank.  This morning i put fuel in the tank and hit the start button.... it started up with some fiddling with the throttle.  Now going through a few short fun cycles to do the initial break in and check for any leaks.  Once i finish those ill let it cool off overnight, recheck the valves and set the timing.  Cant take it for a ride (yet) as i decided one of the rear swing arm “axles” needed to be replaced.  I’m waiting for the parts to replace them both.

Its burning off some anti-seize around the exhaust nuts and the joints between exhaust pipes and mufflers, but no leaks so far.

So far so good.

Posted : 11/24/2020 14:20
Richard W
(@wobbly)

@14517  Excellent !! Congrats, my friend.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/25/2020 09:03
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top