led headlight upgrade

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
John Bernetich
(@johnb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I recently replaced the stock headlight bulb on my 82 r100rt with a Cryon led bulb. Wow ! what a difference. It is a much whiter light and the voltage meter doesn't swing half as much with the signal lights on. My concern with this new bulb is twofold. One: Is the bulb going to cook the wiring inside the headlight bucket? The led has its own little mini fan for cooling but where does it obtain fresh air? and second: How can you adjust the beam? This lamp projects a 360 degree circle of white light with no center point that is easily discernable. Also, is it normal to have very little difference between low and high beam with this lamp? Thanks in advance for any help or observations.
JB

Posted : 08/17/2018 19:38
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I've been running the exact same bulb for 2 years now with no ill effects on anything. The headlamp shell is not air tight, so there's enough air exchange to keep the bulb happy.

You're correct about the pattern. It's a good pattern, but it doesn't "move" up for Hi and down for Lo like a regular incandescent bulb. You either have 2 banks ON for bright, or 3 banks ON for brighter.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/17/2018 21:03
Scott Fleming
(@13807)

This is what I've been using for the past 7 months. It has a distinct high and low beam. No high temp issues. Headlamp: Motoled 12V 20W x 2/2000LM Motorcycle LED HeadLight Bulb HS1/H4 Hi Lo Beam Xenon White 6500K aliexpress.com (ships from china) : $13.00
note: ADVmonster.com sells the same style lamp for $37.50.- $50.00 I bought one and found out that it was not pinned out for an airhead. We require an H4/HS1 pin out. Also note : it may take a minor bit of filing or sanding to get the LED lamps heat sink assembly to pass thru the reflectors opening. You'll get a few more lumens out of these LED lamps as well.

Posted : 08/21/2018 03:16
Richard W
(@wobbly)

If you'll pull up the photos of both bulbs, you'll notice the Motoled 2X2000 has its illuminating chips mounted on a FLAT circuit board. That means on Low Beam (and possibly High Beam as well) illuminates less than half (about 160°) of the reflector. That may make it harder for on-coming cars to see you. Whereas the Cyron has its light emitting chips mounted on a triangular column. Low Beam therefore illuminates 240° of the reflector, and High Beam a full 360° of the reflector.

Additionally, the Motoled has a similar fan which is helping cast off heat. The difference is that the Motoled's fan is INSIDE the reflector, whereas the Cyron has its fan on the outside.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just point out the obvious differences.

Motoled
https://www.amazon.com/SaferCCTV-Motorcycle-Headlight-2000lm-Motorbike/dp/B01EWH8XE6

Cyron
https://www.amazon.com/Cyron-retrofit-motorcycles-cars-snowmobiles/dp/B00REQVA34/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1534882023&sr=8-11&keywords=cyron+led

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/21/2018 17:04

Advertisement

Scroll to top