Looking for Recommendation on Painters

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Matthew Morris
(@mjmorrisva)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Friends, I've taken all the painted pieces off the bike and removed all the hardware. I'm looking for recommendations on painters who can provide a factory original paint job (including the hand painted pinstripes) using the correct pain. The bike is Lava Red with the black fade outline. Does anyone have a recommendation? I live in Leesburg, VA. Happy to take a long day drive and will considering shipping the parts (that fairing is huge though).

Your thoughts,
Matthew

1982 R100RT

Posted : 08/15/2019 12:08
Richard W
(@wobbly)

...painters who can provide a factory original paint job using the correct pain.

Truer words were never spoken. 😛

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/16/2019 09:23
Matthew Morris
(@mjmorrisva)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Having painted and restored a few cars back in the 1980s....I'm sensing that was subconscious on my part. One word - lacquer.

Cheers,
M

1982 R100RT

Posted : 08/16/2019 09:53
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member

Last year I had the lower sections and tank of my 81 R100RT repainted in it's original Smoke Red color. Because New York state will not allow the use of the enamel lacquer paints, I had to find an alternative. I was recommended to D&R Auto Body in Potterville, NY which is near Lk. George. Pat,the owner/painter, found an acrylic paint used on the Mitsubishi vehicles which is almost a spot on match for the original color. He also used a GM black paint for the "smoke" around the edges as per the factory.
I've attached a color card for the paint numbers that were used. Pat finished of the paint job with a few coats of clear coating and the finish is great and almost chip proof.
I hope this is usable info. I know it's a bit of a ways from you, but Pat does quality work at a reasonable price.
Good luck

Rick
81 R100RT (original owner)

Posted : 09/13/2019 17:44
Terry South
(@terry-south)

@red-horse these links are dead. Do you still have those paint codes?

Posted : 07/25/2022 21:03
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member

Terry,

Sorry for the dead links(?)  Hope this helps.

the paint codes: 

1- Main body color

787680CP CROMAX PRO WBC

Car: Mitsubishi 

CODE: P36  chip 45.13      Year:2009

COLOR: RAVE RED- Effect      Metallic/Iridescent Content > 5 grams/liter

2- Smoke trim color

F0211CP CROMAX PRO WBC

CODE: 8555   chip 18.498          YEAR: 95-18

COLOR: Black

Posted : 07/27/2022 11:34

Advertisement