Making Headlights Always-on

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

We have been down the road of the electrical issues on my R75/7.

Now it has been established that the NLA switch assemblies are a problem. I found a turn signal/starter/kill switch and it functions properly.

I also found a left assembly. The problem: it is from a later bike and has no on/off/parking switch. I've gone through the circuit diagrams, and admittedly, I haven't really used them since electronics class so many decades ago, and can't find a way to use this part.

So my question is if there is anyone in the group who can tell me which wires to bridge to allow headlights always on to use this switch?

Posted : 08/03/2022 14:38
Richard W
(@wobbly)

By testing the switch with a Ohm meter, find the power feed going to the headlamp Hi/Lo switch and plug it to the Gray/Black on the multi-color connection board. This will by-pass the lights OFF during cranking relay, but it will get you started.

• If you are running an H4 LED headlamp bulb, then the relay may not be that important anyway. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/04/2022 12:23
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I made one more attempt to get the original switch working this morning, and was successful! I get high and low switching, but wasn't able to get the on/park/off lever to function, so I glued it in place and have lights. I will try your suggestion over the winter. I want it on the road now...NOW! LOL

The next step is getting my Contis replaced as apparently they are recalled. My new Avons just arrived.

Thanks for the help!

Posted : 08/04/2022 16:24
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Are you doing the tire fitting yourself ?

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/05/2022 04:40
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

No, since someone else is paying for it, I'll skip a job I loathe! BTW, these Avons are really, really soft. The Conti front comes in at 60 and the Avon is about 50 on my Durometer.

Posted : 08/05/2022 06:30

Advertisement

Scroll to top