Pulled L/H Cylinder Top Left Stud Pulling with Previous HeliCoil

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
David Fliehr
(@acftfliehr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have a situation where the previous Heli-Coiled stud is pulling out (1986 R-80 converted to R100).

Noted in the technical Discussions of this statement (SnowBum?)

"For a pulled Helicoil, there is a fix, if you are careful and the case is not too badly screwed-up! The Helicoil company makes a TWINSERT ….it is a Helicoil inside a Helicoil, and is available extra long …which is a must."

Does anyone know of the P/N's of the Heli coil's,  drill sizes etc. for this?

Another Solution:

Jeff Trapp (whom Rents the Jig) said he had heard of some people using "guys using timeserts".

I got in touch with the company on this...  < https://time-serts.com/>.

This is what they recommended: < https://time-serts.com/store/m10x1-5-big-sert-with-20mm-inserts-tap-guide-sealer/>

I take it you first drill the oversize  then counterbore past the oil gallery so the BigSert seats below the oil feed to rocker arm.  Then Tap and Install the BigSert.

I would like to use SnowBums recommendation however, as this seems to be the path everyone before has followed but would like the P/N's drill #'s tap #'s if anyone has done this before...  Thanks in advance...

Dave in Livermore, CA

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Richard W

Posted : 08/20/2022 13:26
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Your comment is not attached or quoted within the thread with the balance of the information to which it refers. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/21/2022 04:47
David Fliehr
(@acftfliehr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Want to let the group that we were successful in repairing the stud with the BigSert recommendation in the link provided.  I had Alex at CalMoto Livermore install this as I was a bit on the edge of doing this task...  (I've accomplished the standard helicoil oversize with rented jigs however this was a one chance to save this block sort of situation)'  The only thing Alex had to do was get a reamer to ream down past the Oil galley port.  The BigSert locks with it's head bottoming out at the end of the reamers travel point,  Bike runs Great and kudos to Alex's expertise in getting this job done!!

Posted : 01/02/2023 12:01

Advertisement

Scroll to top