‘75 R90/6: New Wedgetail Ignition, no spark

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Mark Creek
(@mark-creek)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

If you’re a greenhorn like me; the Wedgetail Ignition instructions don’t make any sense. Anyway, after trial and error I now have my Wedgetail installed and ‘75 R90/6 timed. Tom is on vacation or I’d ask him.

https://wedgetailsystems.com/

I pulled my coils and am getting 1.2 primary resistance and 5.5k secondary. That's less than the factory manual suggests. I am just surprised that they both would go out together and both have the same resistance?

Aren’t coils kind of a life time part or do you find that you’re occasionally replacing them? My theory is they were weak and the Wedgetail pushed them over the edge?

Thoughts?

Mark

[Mods added missing information]

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Mark Creek
This topic was modified 2 years ago by Richard W

Posted : 08/20/2022 15:51
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @mark-creek

My theory is they were weak and the Wedgetail pushed them over the edge?

My theory is that you need to post photos and links to what you're trying to discuss.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/21/2022 04:36
John Deikis reacted
Chris Brackney
(@epidoc)

What condition is your battery?

Was the bike running well before installing the Wedgetail?

Coils last a long time but occasionally need replaced.

Chris Brackney

Posted : 08/25/2022 12:42
Mark Creek
(@mark-creek)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

thanks for all of your support. it turned out the iCU was defective. Tom Cutter instantly sent a new one, problem solves.

Posted : 11/03/2022 11:42
Joe Hall reacted
John Deikis
(@5556)
Eminent Member

@wobbly Seem like the OP was pretty clear. Did you want a photo of his coils? Or his dog? Or his wife?

Posted : 11/25/2022 09:44
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @5556

@wobbly Seem like the OP was pretty clear. Did you want a photo of his coils? Or his dog? Or his wife?

No, actually the OP's statement was extremely vague. Go back and read it for yourself. The original post read "...the Wedgetail instructions don’t make any sense." Which left me wondering why a seat cowling was causing anyone trouble. Then, after 15 minutes of my own research, I found that a Wedgetail was a brand of ignition from down under. NOW that I added the simple word "ignition" and a hyperlink to the statement, it starts to make sense what part of the bike needs help.

The irony is that with that original extremely vague statement the OP was, in effect, complaining about extremely vague instructions.

When anyone has a question, even a simple question, it's up to the person who needs and wants help to make their question as clear as possible so that the helpers don't need to ask 35 more questions for clarification. Think about it. No one goes to the doctor and tell them "I hurt" and expects the doctor to work from there. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/25/2022 18:20

Advertisement

Scroll to top