Remounting carbs on '83 R100RS

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So for various reasons my R100RS sat for almost 5 years unridden. Last year I pulled the carbs off to do a rebuild, but after looking how bunked up they were, I sent them to Bing for a professional rebuild.

Now I'm trying  to get the bike back up and running. After flushing out the fuel tank as well as I could, and prepping new fuel lines, I tried to remount the carbs. For the life of me, I can't get the carb seated in the intake tube on the head and the tube from the airbox. I can almost shift things around enough to get both on, but not quite. I've rubbed armor all on the rubber parts to make it easier to slip on, and I can get either the tube to the head or the tube from the airbox on, but not both.

Is there a trick?

Also, the rubber intake tube from the cylinder head is looking a little old and worn. Should I go ahead and replace those so one doesn't split later on?

Thanks for the help.

Posted : 03/24/2023 11:08
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member

Steve,

Did you try to slide the rubber tube between the air box and the carb back down the hard plastic elbow. Then get the carb attached to the rubber tube at the head, secure the clamps.  Then align the hard plastic elbow with the air box and slide the rubber tube back up to the metal collar in the air box.  I would definitely replace the rubber connecting tubes if they are either dried out, cracked or stretched.

I believe your set up is the same as my 81RT.

Redhorse

Posted : 03/24/2023 12:07
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member

13 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Carburetors, Cables and Air Box | Brook's Airhead Garage (reams.me)

Brook's Airhead Garage  

Steve,

This is a great site to help you mount the carbs, as well as many other tasks you might need to do on your "83 RS.

Posted : 03/24/2023 13:09
Edward Adams reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• Since the newer fuels do attack all the 'rubber' parts making them hard and far less compliant, "yes" I'd be replacing all 4 carb mounting hoses.

• You've got the right idea about using a rubber lubricant to make the job easier, but I prefer to use WD-40.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/25/2023 02:41
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys. After If I looked at the Brook Reams site I'll bet I was trying to fit the wrong airbox tube. I didn't realize they were different lengths. 

Posted : 03/25/2023 05:16
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Yes, stand on the pegs and look at the engine straight down. You'll see the cylinders aren't directly across from each other. So a lot of parts (choke cables, throttle cables, air intake, etc) are different lengths.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/27/2023 05:24

Advertisement

Scroll to top