Clear all

R90/6 Induction Tube Elbow and Carb Mounting

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
David James
(@djinca)
Topic starter

Hello all, I didn't see a request for an introduction, nor an obvious place to post one, but I need some help and will include a little background here. Scroll down to SKIP TO HERE if you'd like to cut directly to my problem. I am new to BMW but have been riding and working on motorcycles for ~50 years. I've had some Japanese in the past, but mostly British these days, BSA and Triumph. I have no formal training, but have learned some from my many mistakes over the years. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been a member of the BSA Owners Club for many years. I was on a number of old mail lists, Brit-Iron, Thumper, MC-Chassis and others and I'm currently on Britbike.com forums.

I have a 75 R90/6 which was given to me as a non runner and got it barely running 25-30 years ago before moving house. Without writing a book, I starting working on it during the middle days of Covid lockdown. As it had sat for such a long time, I decided to replace all the seals, rebuild the front brake system, rebuild the carbs and replace the clutch (which it needed when I got it) I joined ABC then and read the forums along with reading Snowbum's and Brook Reams' sites as well as others. I think that I have done pretty well until now, and hope to be ready for tires, battery, fluids and a road test pretty soon.

SKIP TO HERE

I am having trouble mounting my carburetors. I purchased new rubber parts, the o-rings and hoses to connect carbs to heads and induction manifold/elbow to air filter housing. I tried to fit them up with my old manifolds/elbows and the left side had a marginal fit while the right was worse. My elbows were a bit tired and had been sitting uninstalled for years and might have changed shape a bit, so I purchased new elbows thinking they would fit better. Such was not the case (see photo it I am able to include it) The positioning of the cylinder head connection and the filter box connection were set by BMW and can't move more than a mm or two. What am I doing wrong? My connection appears to be off by 10-20 mm. I believe I have the elbows on the correct sides, tighter bend on the right and more sweeping bend on the left.

Any advice is appreciated.

DJinCA

Chrome don't get you home

Posted : 03/30/2023 17:47
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome !

Unlike the Brit bikes you've been riding, pieces on the R75 are not a mirror image. Stand on the rider pegs and look down. You'll see that the cylinders are off-set, one in front of the other. This means some parts you wouldn't normally suspect are actually different lengths. This length difference is taken up in the throttle cables, choke cables, and the plastic air intake tubes.

So your problem is simply that you ordered 2 of one tube, rather than 1 Left side and 1 Right side tube

• While these air intake tubes are removed, you should also take the time to pull the LH air filter box off (1 screw) AND the top most Starter Motor Cover off (2 screws). The reason being that mice love to build winter homes inside these places. And when/if they do, the central air intake channel becomes blocked and the bike will not run correctly. It's so simple to check at this stage of the game. 

Hope you find this helpful.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/31/2023 04:42
David James
(@djinca)
Topic starter

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your response.  I have both right (13721258060) and left (13721258059) side tubes, both the old set and the new ones.  I have the tighter, more 90 degree bend on the right and the more sweeping bend on the left which appears to be as intended.  I have had the airbox off as well as the starter cover.  Both had just an expected amount of dust and dirt accumulation one might expect after the years and miles of usage the bike has seen.  I put in a new air filter and positive battery cable while in there.

I took the old tubes off the bike, but it was over 25 years ago.  It was a long time ago, but the fit well enough back then that I didn't note that they were obviously incorrect.

You are correct when you say that the Airhead is different from the Brit bikes, also the Japanese.  I guess that I have been spoiled up til now with the Airhead parts just fitting with little to no hassle.

DJinCA

Posted : 03/31/2023 06:16
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

There is a secret trick to this.  It is difficult to describe in writing, but stupid easy to demonstrate. Since I am not there, we'll do it the hard way. Looking at the picture you posted, try to visualize the entire assembly of the rubber sleeves, tubes, and the carburetor as an arc from the filter to the intake spigot of the head. What you want to do is loose assemble all the parts as an exagerated arc to the outboard and push the entire assembly toward the motor. You will need both hands for this.   If you are lucky, the whole lot just kind of jumps together. Be sure to have all the clamps loosened and placed where you want them. A little lubricant might be helpful.

Richards advice about the offset of the cylinders and the long/short tube is to be heeded as well. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 03/31/2023 08:15
David James
(@djinca)
Topic starter

James, thanks for your response.  I will loosen everything and try again.  I originally got the left side together with the original (old) elbow and uneven connections clamped together, but the right was off by a lot.  In my photo, I have the airbox rubber pushed all the way onto the end of the elbow, that is, the ends are flush with each other.  The elbow is all the way onto the carb mouth and there is not a lot of extra hose between the carb and head.  I need ~20mm movement to be close to the airbox connection.  I am not sure where that can be made up.  

I understand about the cylinder offset.  As the pistons both travel to TDC simultaneously like a 360 degree vertical twin, but unlike one they travel in opposite directions and therefore cannot be on a common crank throw (e.g. forked rods) they must be on separate planes. 

I'll try to give it another go later today, the morning has been given over to taxes from which this is a welcome break.

DJinCA

Posted : 03/31/2023 08:49
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

I am going to go out on a limb here, and may perhaps invite dissent or even ridicule. 

It is my opinion that the rubber sleeve goes on the carburetor end of the air duct on bikes with the cast aluminum air filter chamber, and it belongs at the filter end of the tube on the flat filter air box. I have 1 of each style on the 2 airheads I own ('73 and '85) and that's the way mine are arranged. In the wild, you will see these assembled in every possible configuration. 

Try fitting the airtube alone to the flange on the aluminum air box. If it slides on to the flange by itself, try assembling the set up (as described earlier) with the rubber sleeve on the carburetor end of the tube. That O-ring on the stub of the aluminum airbox flange is there to seal the junction of the tube and the airbox. Think about it like this, referencing your attached picture, why would we need a rubber o-ring to seal a rubber sleeve on that flange?  Regrettably, the written word falls short of conceptual description in this instance.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 03/31/2023 11:08
David James
(@djinca)
Topic starter

Thanks James, I will try that.  I wondered why there was an o-ring on the filter housing if it was only to be covered by a rubber fitting/hose.

DJinCA

Posted : 03/31/2023 13:18
Richard W
(@wobbly)

► Agreed. You must have the correct lengths statically, before re-assembly starts. That is, with the carb in position, the elbow should look like the exact shape and correct length. BMW had several airbox styles over the years, which may have led to different lengths and/or shapes with the air intake tubes.

► I loosen the carb mounting clamp and allow the carb to hang by the cables. Spray WD-40 3 places: all inside the carb-to-cyl rubber inlet hose, the carb's bell mouth air intake, AND the air box spigot. Then, I push the carb AND the air tube in unison back into place.

Hope this helps.

Posted : 04/01/2023 07:37
David James
(@djinca)
Topic starter

Sorry for the delay in getting back, I was tied up Friday and couldn't get back to the garage and yesterday was a BSA Club ride.  Thanks to both Richard and James for their help.  James, you got me pointed in the right direction, the tubes fit better right side up:-)

DJinCA

Posted : 04/02/2023 15:40
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Glad you got it sorted.

Posted : 04/03/2023 04:57

Advertisement

Scroll to top