Steering Head bearing Driver / Extractor

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I've confirmed that my steering head bearings are notched. There's a good YouTube video of the Cycle Works tool in use. I'm just wondering what other options are available. Something that would work on other bikes besides Airheads would be beneficial to me.

Posted : 11/28/2020 19:08
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have never removed the BMW head post bearings, but I must have done the job on 7 other brands. Usually the bearing race ID is slightly smaller than the frame's opening, and therefore protrudes a slight amount into the central space. This leaves a very small lip which a long drift can catch when it enters the head post internal area from the opposite end. So try catching that lip with a drift about 12" long. You'll simply tap it, move the drift 15° and tap again. Keep going round and round. The effect is that the bearing is "walked out". Slow but effective. 

Installation of the new bearing race is best done with a socket that's ever so slightly smaller. This allows you to tap the new race home without ever striking the race directly with a hammer.

Hope this helps. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/29/2020 14:43
Kurt Kroll reacted
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I went ahead and ordered the Cycle Works tool. The steering head is as Scot described, too thick to get with a punch. The grease was pretty fresh and the adjuster nut was upside down (according to the Brook's Airhead Garage the flat face goes up.) I'll keep you posted. 

Posted : 11/30/2020 16:01

Advertisement

Scroll to top