Super tight top fort retaining nut

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm stuck. The two bolts that hold the top of the forks - the spring retaining nuts are so tight that a 19 inch breaker bar with the 42 mm socket won't loosen these nuts! I've tried a variety of ways to hold the forks so I don't try to use the steering stops. But I just can't get them to turn. Am I missing something? I think some former owner or shop before me used lock tight or some glue on it. Crazy. There was some black crap on the center acorn nut (which came loose). 

I'm afraid I'm going to strip the fork stanchions if I really wail on these bolts. 

Any tricks or ideas? 

BTW, the project is to redo the steering head bearings and put on a Toaster Tan top brace. 

Posted : 01/21/2024 08:54
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Yeah, these are kind of delicate for the size of them.   I don't know what tools you have available but a good fitting socket and impact wrench might be the ticket either air, electric or hammer style.  

Some people just plain believe tighter is better, LOL.  Good luck.  St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 01/21/2024 09:09
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Another thing you can do is to eliminate the chamfer of your socket by grinding the face of the open end flat. I bought an impact grade socket specificly  for that purpose. You will want to employ Steven's impact gun idea. I wouldn't recommend using the percussive, hand held impact tool. By grinding off the socket's chamfer, it can get a better bite on the top nuts that secure the springs. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 01/21/2024 11:02
Peter Lehman
(@16077)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the tips - great thinking. You never know what's going to take days longer than expected or require creative thinking. Long story short, I made a jig to hold the forks and applied enough torque to get them off. I estimate they were on with well over 100 lbs of torque. Unnecessarily tight. Took a 19 inch breaker bar plus an extension. 

Posted : 01/22/2024 16:26
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Good show, St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 01/22/2024 19:04
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Crazy good job on the “jig”. I’m gonna use that design, if you don’t mind!

A tool I’ve found handy for fork tops and bottoms is a wrench like this (photo) made for Harley-Davidson rear axle nuts. It is stamped out of heavy plate and gets an excellent grip on those caps. Mine are 36mm (‘78)

Posted : 01/23/2024 06:44

Advertisement

Scroll to top