Clear all

1977 R75/7 shift lever adjustment

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Mike McAllister
(@14714)
Topic starter

Hi everybody!  I've been looking around to try and find a way to adjust the shift lever on my R75. It seems that there is not any way to do it. Any ideas out there? 

Thank you,

Mike,  ABC 14174

Posted : 01/20/2024 16:34
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Mike -

You must have the older 4-speed gearbox that uses the "cotter system" to attach and position the shift lever. Sorry, I don't know of a way to adjust that lever position. However, may I suggest you carefully look at your shift lever to make sure it hasn't been bent when the bike was accidently dropped. The location makes this hard to occur, but once a shift lever is bent (and this does happen) replacement is the only option. 

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/21/2024 07:36
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Mike, looking at the parts microfiche and picture of the shift lever for your R75/7, I am guessing there is only one way it will attach internally.

LOL, I never had mine off, nor any of the R90 bikes I had so I am not an expert.  St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 01/21/2024 09:06
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

There are 2 variations on the 5 speed transmissions. Before 1978, the shift lever is fitted directly to the transmission. The only adjustment available is to rotate the footrest in tiny increments. Starting in 1978, the shift lever uses what is called a Heim joint and the shifter itself pivots on a dog on the footrest. These are adjustable and can be retro fitted to the earlier model. Be aware that a person must fit all the parts associated with the adjustable design including the foot rest with the pivot point. 

This post was modified 3 months ago by James Strickland

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 01/21/2024 10:51
Mike McAllister
(@14714)
Topic starter

Thanks everybody! It is a 5 speed. Through more research I have discovered that it is not adjustable. There are ways of doing a conversion from a newer one, but kinda expensive. Another way I was told, is to heat it and bend it, or cut it and weld on what you want. Seems it is malleable steel not some alloy.

Thanks again, 

Mike  ABC 14174 

Posted : 01/21/2024 14:54
Richard W
(@wobbly)

A lot of the 5-speed levers are alloy aluminum. You can bend them one time, as in drop the bike or other minor mishap. But when you go to straighten them back they will snap.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/23/2024 08:16

Advertisement

Scroll to top