TPMS For Airhead

7 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

For decades I've rode several brands of MCs, and tend to transfer technology among them. The 2009 and newer GoldWings have factory TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), and many with earlier Wings have added TPMS, using aftermarket systems. I added TPMS to my 2008 Wing a few years ago, and liked it so well I soon added TPMS to the pull behind trailer. Last year I decided to add TPMS to my 95 R100RT, and it has been the best $35 improvement ever. I like being able to monitor tire pressure anytime, without a manual gage, by simply glancing at the TPMS screen, which I velcro-ed to the RT's dash. The TPMS I use is SYKTK brand (Chinese), solar powered, and seldom needs a wall charger. It also conserves power by going off automatically, within minutes of parking the bike, and it comes back on instantly when the bike is touched. A sensor for each wheel screws onto the valve stem, and it is feather light, so no interference with wheel balance. What's not to like! 

TPMS may not be for every Airhead rider, but it sure works for me, so just thought I'd pass it to y'all.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHQFVXB?tag=track-ect5-usa-160787-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

[Mods added link]

This topic was modified 9 months ago by Richard W

Posted : 07/20/2023 19:09
Richard W
(@wobbly)

► My brother (the electronic gizmo junkie) provided me with a system off Amazon and it worked pretty well. These units work by having a small transducer that screws onto the valve stem. They aren't heavy enough to upset the wheel's balance. Inside the unit is a #357 sized calculator battery and a Bluetooth chip. In this way the pressure measurements are beamed to the stationary screen on your handlebars or tank bag. Some of the stationary units require 12V power (meaning some new wiring may be involved), others use an internal rechargeable battery which is run off solar or has to be charged like a cell phone.

I encountered 2 issues:

• The Chinese batteries in the wheel unit didn't last too long and good quality #357 batteries are $5 each. Replacing all the wheel unit batteries on a car/trailer system could cost more than the initial unit.

• The transducer unit may need to come off to put air into the tire. Incorrect re-installation may create an air leak.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/21/2023 06:40
Joe Hall reacted
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Here's the one I used. The solar charger works great, and I can see it flashing that it's charging when in the sun. I have only needed to wall charge it once since installation, and that was because I was still playing with it in the garage for several days, learning how it worked. For example, someone said it only changes TP readings when underway, since it needs inertia; not true, it will change anytime it is on, sitting still or moving. I leave it turned on all the time, and rely on its auto-shutdown and auto-startup feature, which has been reliable. Replacement batteries for the sensors come in packs of 4, not sure of price, but so far have not needed any. I have became so spoiled with these handy gadgets, and dunno how I ever lived without them. I especially like that, since no air is ever lost in checking TP, tires very seldom need topping up. Yet I can continually monitor TP, at a glance. 

For some reason I cannot post a link, but just Google "Solar Powered Motorcycle TPMS". 

This post was modified 10 months ago by Joe Hall

Posted : 07/21/2023 12:54
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member

Joe, Wobbly,

Have either ofyou checked the accuracy of the TPMS to a good tire pressure gauge?  Just curious how true the reading on the display screen is to the "actual" pressure.

thanks,

Rick 

Posted : 07/24/2023 13:05
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Rick,

I use a JACO gauge in the garage, and the three TPMS on two MCs and one pull behind trailer read within 1-2 PSI of the JACO. I also find it interesting to watch the PSI and tire temp rise when underway; the rear tire usually rises 5-10PSI, and he front 3-6. Temps rise 10-30 degrees, and the rear is always hotter, once underway. It's just another gadget, but very handy. As already mentioned, best thing I like about it is, no more need to manually check TP. With the solar charger, and auto on/off feature, I never bother to manually turn it off, just let the auto feature do its thing. Goldwingers have been fond of TPMS for several years, and the one I mentioned is the current favorite, among aftermarkets.    

Posted : 07/25/2023 12:56
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member

Joe,

I imagine it's very important to monitor your psi especially when you're towing a trailer and/or riding 2 up.  Nice to know the TPMS is the same as a good tire gauge. I'm not a real gadget guy, but hopefully other members will find your added monitor a very useful and safety addition. 

Ride safe,

rick 

• red horse

Posted : 07/25/2023 15:39
Joe Hall reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I use the same gauge as the Michelin engineering team uses on their tire test track. In fact, it was given to me by one of their engineers. And I don't see any difference between the readings of the TPMS and the compensated gauge. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/25/2023 18:01
Joe Hall reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top