Clear all

Welding on airhead frame???

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Jim Wells
(@14591)
Topic starter

The right ignition coil bracket has broken from the frame of my 1984 R100.  Can I tack it back on with DC TIG without damaging other electrical components. Maybe remove the ICU?  What else?  The Bosch alternator shouldn't have a problem.

In a former life I wrenched in a Yamaha shop and we found that AC stick airc would demagnitize the magnito parts.

Thanks,

Posted : 06/07/2021 13:02
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Jim -

1. TIG welding should be just fine. Move all the plastic components away. The fuel lines will be right there, so drop the 2 float bowls, and have lots of air movement going around you.

2. Rather than trying to affix the broken piece, I might fashion a 1/2 x 3" bar from 1/4" bar stock, tapped with two 5mm holes. Then slide that under the 2 "hoops" left by the old mount. 

3. These don't usually break, so you need to be asking "Why ?". Look for shiny places on the underside of the fuel tank. You may need to bash in a close-fitting place there with a ball peen hammer. Definitely replace all 3 fuel tank mounts. Some people have to add 1/4" flat washers to the top of the rear 2 tank mounting studs to raise the rear 1/16". The bracket didn't just break by itself !

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/08/2021 12:54
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

It does look like (in your picture) there has been some rubbing on the heads of the coil mounting bolts. Can’t imagine what would be rubbing there. 

Good tip from Richard - I replaced my coils not too long ago, and replaced all three tank mounts at the same time. It did improve the clearance between the tank and the coils, etc.

Posted : 06/08/2021 14:48

Advertisement

Scroll to top