FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

What are these grease fittings to be used on?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Mark Taylor
(@saxontaylor)
Topic starter

These came with the R75/5 i got recently. Can anyone tell me what components they are intended to be used on?
Thanks!

Posted : 09/11/2016 18:59
Joe Stroup
(@14326)

BMW has used a now archaic type of grease fitting which is simply a small cone shaped indentation with a hole in the center that passes grease to the surfaces to be lubricated.

I've seen these fittings on both my '84 R100 and my '87 K100 - you might find them on your bike at places like your side or center stand pivots, or foot lever pivots.

I've seen examples where new versions of parts have been redesigned to use a modern "zerk" grease fitting. The center stand pivots on my K100 are an example of this.

If you're using the old cone grease injection point, you may find it easier to use a special "rubber tip" fitting on your grease gun that's designed for these locations - I got one at the local AutoZone in my neighborhood.

Some pivots specify that they must be disassembled to be lubricated - no grease fittings are provided. As you look for all the possible grease points on your bike, you should be able to see pretty quickly what's been provided for lubrication.

J.S.

Posted : 09/11/2016 21:53
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Rear brake pedal pivot, and both swing arm bearings (under the round plastic caps)

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/11/2016 23:24
Mark Taylor
(@saxontaylor)
Topic starter

I shall scope these areas out. Thanks for the tips.

Posted : 09/12/2016 10:20
Richard W
(@wobbly)

They seem to use a low profile fitting on the brake pedal for safety, but that fitting can be removed with a 4mm socket. The hole can then easily be enlarged using a 1/4-28 UNF tap (without any additional disassembly) and a standard Zerk fitting installed. This allows the owner the ease of greasing the clutch throw-out and brake pedal with the same grease gun set up.

The former owner of my machine also installed Zerks in the swing arm bearings. I've not investigated how much work that entailed. However, I can tell you that when all the fittings are the same, the ease of maintenance is greatly increased and regular service is a lot more likely.

🙂

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/13/2016 10:27
Jerome Duletzke
(@14210_1599594163)

the photo shows a cone attachment for a grease gun, used primarily on cone shaped grease point on the swing arm, pull off the 1.5" diameter plastic cover and you will see it. I use a handy cone shaped tip greaser I bought at a chain saw shop. Same fitting is used on the roller on tip of chain saw bar.

Posted : 01/07/2017 16:19

Advertisement

Scroll to top