12 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
11.3 K Views
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Since I have my R80 down for top-end work, it sits on my lift, taunting me with the myriad other things I should/could be doing during the winter downtime:

I tore down the carbs and cleaned them thoroughly . . .

And then, I decided to go ahead and do the transmission input spline lube . . .

Which led me to decide that I might as well go ahead and do the swing arm bearings while I was at it . . .

And eventually, everything behind the clutch was somewhere on the bench.

Boredom is a dangerous thing . . .

Posted : 01/10/2017 22:38
Richard W
(@wobbly)

You should probably stop about where you are. 😛

The most over-looked and under-appreciated maintenance items are replacing the front fork oil and brake fluid. And those are 1/10th the trouble of what you're already into.

Photos please when it's back on the road, my friend !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/12/2017 21:04
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Ah, not to worry, the fork seals, fork oil, steering bearings and all brake lines, new M/C and fluid flush were all done in the Fall of 2016.
At this time, only the crank, rods and timing chain/tensioner have been overlooked.

I am feeling pretty confident in reliability for 2017.

Posted : 01/12/2017 22:11
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I got a lot done in the last few days.

I cleaned and re-packed the swing-arm bearings, cleaned and lubed the clutch spline, replaced the neutral switch and oil sender, replaced the speedo cable boot, and got the back end put back together:

On examining the heads that I removed, it was clear that not only was this '84 among those with soft valve seats, the exhaust were badly hammered and the exhaust valves badly "tuliped".
Rather than fork out the $1000 or so to ship them to one of the trusted seat replacement shops, I scrounged up a pair of low-ish mileage 1994 R100RT heads to use. They have the newer valve seats and also have larger valves. The R80 heads were 38mm/40mm, and the R100 heads are 40mm/42mm, but still have the same 32mm carb spigots and 38mm exhaust flanges. All they needed was two exhaust guides replaced, and the seats cut and valves faced.

So I did that.
Installed New Guides:

continued . . .

Posted : 01/18/2017 23:04
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Then . . .

Cut the valve seats:

Lapped in the valves, cleaned and re-assembked the heads, then assembled the top end with all new o-rings, gaskets, pushrod tube seals, etc.

Oh, and those are new exhaust nuts, too (with anti-seize on the threads).

And new carb rubbers:

Tomorrow I'll get the left carb installed and all cables re-adjusted, etc., re-torque the heads, and hopefully fire it up.

I also recently acquired a set of original correct crash bars and a genuine San Jose fork brace for this bike:

As soon as I finish with the mechanical stuff, and verify that all is well, I'll bead blast and re-paint the bars and fork brace and get them installed.

My roads are solid ice and frozen snow right now, so I won't even get the carbs balanced and fine tuning done for a while, since I can't ride anywhere to warm it up sufficiently.

Posted : 01/18/2017 23:05
Thomas Brundage
(@ridefast99)
Trusted Member

Sounds like somebodys got money to burn

Posted : 01/24/2017 21:08
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Sounds like somebodys got money to burn

On the contrary, I am trying to bring the maintenance up to date on a neglected bike I purchased used in 2016.
All of the repairs/maintenance are simply due and necessary.
Replacing heads was far cheaper than having new seats installed in the old ones, which could not be re-used without complete overhauls. Everything else has been bearings and seals, gaskets, o-rings, etc., which need attention every 20 or 30 years anyway. I do all of the work myself, so as to save labor costs, and because I enjoy it.
The crash bars were a good deal, purchased used, as was the fork brace, which I picked up for far less than current market value, or I wouldn't have purchased it.
I am cheap, retired and live on a fixed income, so have no "money to burn".
That's why I am an AirHead.
😉

Posted : 01/24/2017 22:00
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sounds like somebody's got money to burn

...or forgot to take his Ritalin. 😆

Makes me tired just thinking about all that.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/25/2017 00:26
Thomas Brundage
(@ridefast99)
Trusted Member

I wish i was that mechanically inclinded......I am just a oil changer and and break fluid flusher.....and valve adjuster....good for you i was only kidding like i said i wish i had the skills.....ridefast99

Posted : 01/25/2017 08:54
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I finished up the winter maintenance today.
Got the fork brace and crash bars installed:

And the new valve covers I got for Chrtstmas:

I strapped my old Vetter tank bag on it:

Now I am ready for spring . . .

I have run it up to operating temp and cooled down a couple of times, then reset the valves. Now I just need some snowless roads to put some miles on it, then adjust valves once more, sync carbs and hit the road!

Posted : 01/27/2017 19:15
Jim Wells
(@14591_1599590718)

Great pix! Where did you find the crash bars?

Thanks,

Posted : 03/18/2017 10:48
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

They are BMW accessory crash bars, that I found on eBay.

Posted : 03/18/2017 22:57

Advertisement

Scroll to top