Clear all

Transmission removal

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Rob Halsey
(@rob-halsey)
Topic starter

I am wondering if I need to loosen the swing arm, like the Clymer Manual says, to get the transmission out.  I don't have the special 27mm shaved-down socket. Is there another way to remove to get the transmission out without buying the special socket?  I have a ‘74 R75/6. The bolt coming out of the block(see photo) seems to be the only thing that is preventing me from lifting it out. I put the nut back on while trying to figure it out. 

Posted : 10/14/2023 09:17
Rob Halsey
(@rob-halsey)
Topic starter

Forgot to subscribe to topic so had to make another post to subscribe. 😊 

Posted : 10/14/2023 09:18
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

It's been a long time since I pulled a transmission and I just don't remember. Having said that, there is some longitudinal  float in the driveshaft that allows for the boot to be swapped without pulling the swing arm, so, maybe. If you have removed the clutch arm, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Be advised that there is a kind of horseshoe clip holding the pivot pin in place on the clutch arm assembly. That clip is a bugger to get to and easy to lose. Also, go ahead and buy the 27mm socket. If you are a cheap bastard like me, you might  modify a common socket for that job using a bench grinder.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 10/15/2023 08:53
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

My unmodified KOBALT 1/2 drive fits my 83. It is cheap enough to try.

Bob

Posted : 10/15/2023 12:22
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

After looking at your photo again, you might be able to jam 2 nuts together on that stud and back the stud out of the case. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 10/16/2023 10:34
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

The transmission has to move straight back far enough to disengage the splined input shaft from the clutch. So, the swingarm has to move back to get out of the way. Kind of a pain, but really not bad. Find a picture of the effort involved in getting to the clutch in a modern BMW, and you will feel blessed!

Posted : 10/17/2023 19:08

Advertisement

Scroll to top