Clear all

AND HOW DO WE PROCEED, MY FRIENDS?

35 Posts
15 Users
52 Likes
jack klauschie jr
(@jarthur)
Eminent Member

I agree. I met a young man in his mid-20's who was bursting with enthusiasm and pride for his airhead. Spent about 15-20 minutes talking with him in a parking lot. I thought about referring him to the Club but didn't because early communications from the Board were defensive, not explanatory or visionary, and since then I only hear crickets.

I still wait for answers to basic questions and an explanation of the Trio's vision for the Club. Who knows. Many of us might agree.

As for Oak's articles, I agree they are not a particularly good resource to solve a problem. Their value to me and perhaps others is to expand my overall knowledge. Maybe I'm weird but I would go straight to the back to read Oak's material first, often several times with the hope the knowledge would sink in, and then scan the remainder. 

We are a week away from a February AirMail. Can't wait to see what Road Wolf Design produces. But wait, how do I get it? OK, I admit this is a cheap shot and I hope all is sorted out. 

Jack #16475

Posted : 01/24/2023 18:47
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

@richard-k-belew The Three Amigos will use the info from the poll to install only Airmarshalls that agree with them. No dissention allowed. We are getting redacted panels in Airmail

Posted : 02/04/2023 13:32
John Deikis
(@5556)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @bret

We are getting redacted panels in Airmail

We seem to be getting a much improved Airmail with a "letters" section reflecting both sides of the controversy. Not sure what the BoD will do but Duck took a couple of steps back and I'm hoping for more transparency and maybe even democracy. Time to bridge the divide (as the Democrats and Republicans with any brains are starting to say nationally).

Posted : 02/04/2023 14:51
Edward Adams reacted
Bradley Barrus
(@895)
Eminent Member

Only the airmarshals can vote for directors.  Let your airmarshals know how you feel about the BoD decisions to fire the club founder, censor Airmail, eliminate Oak's column, arbitrarily change the club canons and otherwise act without seeking input from the membership.  

Posted : 02/04/2023 18:05
John Deikis
(@5556)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @895

Only the airmarshals can vote for directors.  Let your airmarshals know how you feel about the BoD decisions

My Airmarshal is quite aware of my opinions on this.

Interesting that the BoD appoint the Airmarshals and the Airmarshals elect the BoD. Kind of a friendly circle-jerk.

Posted : 02/05/2023 08:03
Greg Hutchinson
(@1405)
Eminent Member

I finally got the new Airmail yesterday.

Looking at the management lineup, is this a parody, or has the reconstituted BoD elevated the EGO definition to a new level?

When the MOA went through something similar back in the early ‘90s, they had just crossed $1M in revenue, and I can’t remember a single MOA Chartered Club that had a CFO. Grand Pupah, money bags, and other fun titles. BUT CFO meant corporate with rules and responsibilities. For MOA, RA, and Chartered Clubs, it was always Treasurer.

But a CFO for a small in size, about $80K in annual revenue, locally fun, and minimal By-Law structure? Look up the definition.

The chief financial officer (CFOs) holds the top financial position in an organization. They are responsible for tracking cash flow and financial planning and analyzing the company's financial strengths and weaknesses and proposing strategic directions.”

So instead of an elected Chair who by definition should be responsible for strategy, I guess he’s surrendered that sorta critical thinking to the new CFO, who now has created a dotted line staff with a Treasurer…that’s usually the way these things work…when they reach a lot bigger critical mass.

The Club has a highly competent Treasurer who knows the numbers and could easily handle what should be an easy quarterly or annual P&L, Budget, and Balance sheet…if given the direction by the BoD. So I guess the Board doesn’t care if the members might like to know what goes on with their dues and expenses. So what's the CFO going to be doing exactly?

This may sound like minor nitpicking, but it demonstrates the character and direction of the leadership.

Big bag of popcorn to see how this all plays out over time. Maybe they’ll decide to offer a stock offering.

Posted : 02/05/2023 11:25
Edward Adams
(@rtpilot)
Trusted Member

@5556   Indeed it is.

Posted : 02/08/2023 18:52
Michael Lucas
(@14004)

I have been surprised to find so much backroom drama in a hobbyists club.  I just have two observations:

1. No part of the statement,

"Acknowledging the existence of "the DUO" means that you have decided that the board of directors and the function it serves is no longer valid.  However, that body and those roles are part of our bylaws and linked to our articles of incorporation for the club.  If the board is dissolved, the club no longer exists."

is factually supportable.  It is an emotionally charged, thinly-veiled threat.  Whatever the facts in the dispute are, the authors of this statement will need to re-establish their credibility before they can be trusted.

2.  I think the club has jumped the rails.  It is indeed a mistake to abandon the niche one is filling to wade into a fistfight with an existing, successful competitor.

I've joined that competitor as of today and whether I renew my membership here will be based on whether ABC has become redundant or is still filling the niche.

Posted : 02/20/2023 13:22
John Deikis
(@5556)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @14004

I've joined that competitor as of today and whether I renew my membership here will be based on whether ABC has become redundant or is still filling the niche.

So...what is "that competitor" of the ABC? I don't know of one. Of course, there's the Renegades, but only BJan knows how to contact them.

Posted : 02/20/2023 16:15
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

Vintage BMW Owners Club. That's where I am going if things don't get better here.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Bret Williams

Posted : 02/20/2023 17:09
Doug Lambert
(@elpha)
Eminent Member

@5556 

That is an incredibly childish response. If this is the “new” attitude with the leadership and majority of members of this club I want no part of it. I thought this club was about the motorcycles.

Posted : 02/20/2023 23:19
Edward Adams
(@rtpilot)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @5556

“Not sure what the BoD will do but Duck took a couple of steps back and I'm hoping for more transparency and maybe even democracy. Time to bridge the divide (as the Democrats and Republicans with any brains are starting to say nationally).”

THIS is exactly what the members are preaching, for the board to step back, re-evaulate their actions and attitude towards the majority membership opinion and representation and PUBLICLY explain their actions IN ADVANCE, allowing for club member input and then apply fair and equitable representation.

Sad to to see the website has a ‘Club News’ page that has had not a single new entry since May of 2022!! Not a single sentence about ANY club business from anyone on the board YET they are hammering us (while hiding behind the curtain of Oz) about why the drastic media changes were needed immediately to a more electronic version. Huh, ok? So where is the application of that intent??  

Again, public explanation is warranted during this upheaval.  

Posted : 02/21/2023 09:37
John Deikis
(@5556)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

What?! I guess something I said struck you as inappropriate. 

I’m for motorcycles, I’m okay with BJan’s Renegades articles, and I’m not part of leadership. 

what’s your point?

Posted by: @elpha

@5556 

That is an incredibly childish response. If this is the “new” attitude with the leadership and majority of members of this club I want no part of it. I thought this club was about the motorcycles.

Posted : 02/21/2023 12:19
Doug Lambert
(@elpha)
Eminent Member

@5556 

I meant exactly what I wrote. I didn’t say something wasn’t appropriate or that you were leadership. I said your response was childish. You certainly don’t give the impression you’re okay with the Renegades, but I really don’t care one way or the other about that. If you think your response was mature then let’s simply agree to disagree.

Posted : 02/21/2023 17:14
John Deikis
(@5556)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

"Incredibly childish."  Well, I'm puzzled by that impression although my wife has accused me of being immature at times.

I'm okay with agreeing to disagree but if you're going to insult me publicly, I think you could give me a little bit of an explanation.

If you are willing to talk privately, let me know. I'll send you my phone number.

Ride safe!

John

Posted : 02/24/2023 09:56
Page 2 / 3

Advertisement

Scroll to top