Clear all

86 R80 gauges

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
George Kehas
(@magge52)
Topic starter

My speedo gave up the ghost so I'm removing the gauge cluster however there is a cable running in the back, electric tach I assume as there is no tach cable. Can't see a visible way to disconnect. Didn't find any posts on this, is it an easy task? Also any recommendations on repair shops is appreciated.

Thanks, 

George 

Posted : 07/13/2021 12:10
Larry A. Chabira
(@2659)

Overseas speedometer repair in Austin tx fixed mine for 150.00    there is a very little Philips screw in the middle of the black wire block on back of the gauges, It sinks in over the years and is hard to see.   Palo Alto speedometer also fixes Airhead speedos.

Posted : 07/13/2021 13:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @2659

There is a very little Philips screw in the middle of the black wire block on back of the gauges. It sinks in over the years and is hard to see.  

• It's like a #4 Plastite screw. You'll need a #1 Phillips to take it out.
  • Because the screw can't "bottom out" on the soft rubber of the connector, it can easily bury itself in the "rubber".
  • After the screw is removed, the connector is pulled straight out. It's a very snug fit into the gauge housing.
  • I like to add a dab of anti-oxidation compound to the 8 connector pins you'll see there.
  • I often add a #4 countersunk washer to the screw on re-assembly.
  • Because the thread-cutting nature of the Plastite screw, you can't simply start tightening the screw. The screw will simply make new threads and after 3 or 4 times like this, there will be NO threads remaining. Instead, turn the screw in reverse and you will feel the screw pop into the existing threads. THEN you can tighten the screw. The torque is far less than 1 ft-lb. Stop at the first suggestion of resistance.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/14/2021 04:33
George Kehas
(@magge52)
Topic starter

@wobbly 

Checked out the speedo tonite. Turns out there are two screw holes in the back of the unit, neither had screws in them so I just pulled the connector out. If those tiny screws aren't available I'll probably just cover the back with gorilla tape. 

Thanks for the tip.

Posted : 07/16/2021 17:21
George Kehas
(@magge52)
Topic starter

@2659 

Larry,

Ahh, Overseas, I vaguely recall sending them the speedo off my 850 Commando many moons ago. I'll give them a shout in the am. Thanks for jarring my memory.

George

Posted : 07/16/2021 17:27
Frank Jarrell
(@frankj)
Eminent Member

I sent mine to Joel Levine in Georgia. He is not cheap, but turned it around in 10 days as he said he would. He makes his parts so part obsolescence is not an issue. Mine needed bearings.

https://joellevinecompany.com/speedo-tach-repair/

Posted : 07/21/2021 09:58
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @frankj

I sent mine to Joel Levine in Georgia. He is not cheap, but turned it around in 10 days as he said he would. He makes his parts so part obsolescence is not an issue. Mine needed bearings.

https://joellevinecompany.com/speedo-tach-repair/

I know Joel and he's been rebuilding Brit bike gauges for decades. I had no idea he also did Airhead gauges.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/29/2021 04:29
Frank Jarrell
(@frankj)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @wobbly

I know Joel and he's been rebuilding Brit bike gauges for decades. I had no idea he also did Airhead gauges.

I was referred to Joel by a gentleman in Alpharetta who could not get the parts needed. I had a nice talk with Joel. It turns out I worked for his father a lifetime ago. Anyway he is primary in Brit bikes, but he does do BMW as well.

Posted : 08/06/2021 07:37
George Kehas
(@magge52)
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies, sent it to Overseas Speedo in Austin. Got it back a few days ago, all is well.

Posted : 08/09/2021 16:24
Tobin Peever
(@tpeever)
Eminent Member

Bit late to the party here but Foreign Speedo in San Diego restored my R75/6 clocks and they did a great job

http://www.foreignspeedoinc.com

I have also had Palo Alto restore a number of clocks for me in the past and they are good as well. It does seem like Palo Alto's prices have gone up a lot in the past few years and Foreign Speedo was much more reasonable.

Posted : 08/26/2021 21:55

Advertisement

Scroll to top