Egg on Your Face Situations

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So I'd like to start a little topic. One in which we admit some of our more embarrassing moments while working on or operating our wonderful machines. You know we all have them...

Luckily I found the solution to my issue this morning that has been bugging me for weeks now.

I've had this noise coming from what sounded like my flywheel or clutch area. When decelerating I would hear what sounded like clutch chatter or a vibration noise. I felt nothing odd through the seat or footpegs. Once I pulled the clutch in to downshift, the noise would go away. Then when cruising slowly in first I would also hear this chatter. Researched clutch, throwout bearing, timing chain, etc. but nothing seemed to match my issue. Yesterday I even readjusted the clutch and freeplay. Still no better.

Warming up the bike this morning and I heard it again. But now at idle just sitting on the center stand. Starting from the bottom I noticed nothing. But working my way up, I found it... it's my new gas cap that I got from an inmate. Cap is totally solid. It was just loose enough to where it was creating a new rattling noise.

At least I know it's not my clutch. Fix $0.00

Posted : 07/22/2019 09:24
Chris Dazet
(@15087)
Eminent Member

Ha, good topic!
One of my best that I'll say I've done is after checking the oil, then getting distracted by whatever, is then taking off without screwing the dipstick back in.
Takes a mile or two before you feel the warm blow by oil on you pants, or dripping into your boot!
One if the only draw back to putting in your ear plugs and helmet on before taking off!

Posted : 07/28/2019 20:54
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I bought some work books that were good to wear for riding.... I thought. However, not once but twice the raised shoelace eyelets managed to pull the retaining wire off the RH float bowl. The first time I was miles from home, but luckily the bowl managed to balance on top of my foot, requiring only reattachment.

The second time I was test riding a friend's R75. I know where that bowl parted ways with the bike. I walked that stretch of road more than once, but I never could find it.

A new float bowl is $45.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/28/2019 23:23
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I bought some work boots that were good to wear for riding.... at least I thought so. However, not once but twice the raised shoelace eyelets managed to pull the retaining wire off the RH float bowl. The first time I was miles from home, but luckily the bowl managed to balance on top of my foot, requiring only reattachment.

The second time I was test riding a friend's R75. I know where that bowl parted ways with the bike. I walked that stretch of road more than once, but I never could find it.

Apparently I am not alone. There were 4 or 5 LH bowls on Ebay, but no RH bowls. A new float bowl is $45.

Posted : 07/28/2019 23:24
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Haha. Nice ones guys!! Anyone ever saddle up and reached over to put on the seat belt?

Posted : 07/29/2019 10:01
Richard W
(@wobbly)

This one is so common, I think it's become a rite of passage for Airhead owners.

There was the time I inadvertently hit the Kill Switch when pulling into a fuel stop. Went to leave and nothing worked. Fellow riders are already cranked up and pulling out to the highway. I'm getting panicky. Try the ignition switch several times. No go. Start to take my helmet back off and push it to the side when I notice the switch (which I never use) is knocked to the OFF position.

You could probably make a mint at Airhead rallies if you sold small stickers that said "Hey, Stupid ! Did you check the Kill Switch ?"

Posted : 07/30/2019 10:59
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I hadn't been riding much lately. I used the excuse it was August and way too hot, but in truth there was a nagging concern about the charging system. The voltmeter simply wouldn't go past 12.0V and I knew that was not a good sign. Short trips down the road and back showed no hesitance to crank the bike, so something was getting through to the battery. But was the issue getting worse ? I had already replaced all the wear items last year (brushes, regulator, battery, battery cables) so the easy work was already finished. This was really starting to bother me.

In 30 days or so it's going to cool off and club rides will pick back up. Autumn leaf rides are not the things you want to miss in North Georgia. The decision was simple, I simply had to brave the 90 degree shop and work on the bike until the problem was found.

Then this morning I had an idea. (That's really the reason I procrastinate. If I wait long enough the solution usually comes to me like an epiphany.) I went to the shop and put a voltmeter on the battery and cranked the bike. Straightaway I had the answer. My BMW voltmeter had failed. It was good 0 to 12, but wouldn't or couldn't push past that central position. Installed a spare voltmeter and Shazam !! back in business !!

What's the world coming to when motorcycle voltmeters only last 40 years ! 😛

Posted : 08/08/2019 18:54
Bill Casey
(@big-bill)

This was the result the first time I removed and replaced the clam shell front cover. I was very careful after installing a new set of points and condenser.

Posted : 08/10/2019 10:31
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Another BMW rite of passage. I have done that myself !! B)

Posted : 08/10/2019 11:45
David Barnett
(@viejo)
Eminent Member

Haha. Nice ones guys!! Anyone ever saddle up and reached over to put on the seat belt?

Years ago (mid 60's) I went back in the shop at Dallas Motorcycles Sales and saw one of the wrenches braising a lug on the fame of a new Marusho (Japanese BMW clone). When I asked him what it was for he pointed to one already affixed to the other side and said- "seat belt mounts". The customer's reasoning was that if seat belts made cars safer, and motorcycles were more dangerous than cars, then......

When I asked Harold Yaw, the owner of the shop (BMW, Ducati, Matchless, Norton) if he had questioned the customer's reasoning he just said- "his bike, his money".

caveat emptor

Posted : 08/20/2019 19:48
Edward Jones
(@14979)
Trusted Member

I normally ride with ear plugs, except when I test ride after a repair/upgrade session. This time I hear a noise that for the life of me sounds like a timing belt tensioner going bad. At first seems rpm & load related but then only rpm. It sounds like the left front of the bike. A couple stops, rev & listen, nothing. OK must be a rolling part. So heading home on a quiet road listening and listening trying to isolate where this noise is coming from. Then quite by accident I touched the empty RAM mount for a Garmin eTrex20. It's that %*%#^( little roller that holds the GPS in the cradle.
Just the right rpm and wind makes it sing.
Ah the bliss of using ear plugs 🙂

Posted : 09/08/2019 07:17
James O'Connor
(@14975)

When I first bought my R75/5 back in 1987, I'd never ridden a motorcycle before. It came with straight, open pipes and a tiny 'cafe' bar. After a few weeks of mucking around I found and fixed the problem (torn diaphragm in one carb), got it running...sort of, and decided to take a test ride in the dirt lot in front of the shack I shared with several unsavory friends. I fired it up and in the confusion of my first ride, forgot to take the choke off. So, very high idle. Went to let the clutch out, it grabbed and the bike shot out from under me, laid over and spun in a circle...in front of all my laughing roomates. Took years before I heard the end of that.

Posted : 09/20/2019 18:53
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Kind of sad I started this topic and yet seem to be able to contribute to it more than I'd like to admit.

Was doing some tuning. Timing spot on, new air filter, carbs cleaned up properly, floats level set, carbs balanced, etc.

But man it was just running rich a tad. Did I mix up my enrichers? Took them off again, but they were fine. Timing didn't slip. Carbs are fine. What the hell?

Put carbs back on. Still a bit rich but better. I pushed down on the enricher levers and just that little bit leaned it out nicely.

SO...I found my error. After hooking it all back up I noticed by carbs were just a bit off camber. So a little turn towards the engine on each on. BUT that raised the enricher lever just a hair on each one to give me a rich condition. Whoops!!!!

Posted : 06/03/2020 09:34
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Went to let the clutch out, it grabbed and the bike shot out from under me, laid over and spun in a circle...in front of all my laughing roommates.

Your screen name should be "Doughnut". 😛

Posted : 06/03/2020 17:04
john stirling
(@arni)
Trusted Member

I've had the lost carb bowl to a boot eyelet adventure. It was easy to find, smashed flat 20 feet behind me. That was in the early days before I had proper boots. The worst, and quite recent happened on a local road. I was flying along and suddenly the RS just quit. I roll it to a dirt side road and start thinking. It shut off like someone hit a switch so definitely electrical. But my hands had been steady on the bars and the thing doesn't have an ignition switch. What could it be? The electrical system would come up but no fire. I pulled the tank and looked around and everything was fine. The sun was beating down as I was scratching my head. Finally I called a friend to bring my trailer and hauled it home. Once in the shop it took 5 minutes to find the problem....the most common and obvious one in the system---The wire between the coils was loose. It's the second or third thing you ALWAYS check and I hadn't done it. Felt like major idiot.

Posted : 07/20/2020 09:59
Page 1 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top