Yet another new member

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
John Brock
(@john-brock)
Topic starter

Greetings from Western Washington!

I'll be retrieving my 1971 R75/5 from my brother-in-law sometime this month. Very much looking forward to it.
Currently, I'm riding a 2018 R1200RT for longer faster rides, and a 1998 R1200C for rides closer to home. Both are amazing motorcycles and a treat to ride.

Since the 1970's, I've had three Hondas, two Harleys, and now the two (soon to be three), BMWs. Lots of fun and I do as much of the maintenance and wrenching as I can. I'm expecting to do nearly all of the maintenance on the R75. I treated myself to a nice service lift in one of my garages. I have as much fun working on the bikes as I do riding them. That's kinda key here just north of Seattle. For the jobs that are beyond my skill or available time, I'm very fortunate to have Vallantine Motor Works close by. Mark and Dana are treasures and very skilled independent BMW mechanics.

I've worked for a Seattle based software developer (you're probably never heard of), for 30+ years. We write a NURBS based industrial design surface modeling application called Rhinoceros. It's a great bunch of people supporting a very interesting group of users in wide ranging applications.

I've ridden my bikes in every state but Hawaii and all but 4 Canadian provinces and territories. Besides bikes, my other interests include woodworking and bellows blown bagpipes.

Now that I've hit 60, I'm not doing much camping anymore. A nearby NAS (Notch Above Scuz) motel will do just fine.!

Posted : 08/11/2019 14:14
George Tinkham
(@coolbreeze)

I just joined Airheads, and this is my first posting on this forum. I hope I am doing it correctly. I just attached a photo of my 1964 R69S. It was taken in 1978 with me and my son, Brent -- who is now a partner in a Chicago law firm.
I bought the BMW in 1976 for $550. I used it for numerous business trips as part of my duties as Assistant Attorney General in the Environmental Control Division, as well as camping trips, and organizational trips around Illinois as we put the A.B.A.T.E. motorcyclists' rights organization together. It was my faithful steed in the early '80s when I represented other BMW riders who were arrested for riding on public highways in our local park district. When the appellate court ruled the park district's ordinance was unconstitutional, this was the 1st time in history that a motorcycle park ban had been defeated in court.
I replaced the original engine a year or so after I bought the bike. The new engine still runs great, but it almost refuses to start. At the end of 1986, I was tired of fussing with a bike that wouldn't start and that didn't want to run at the speeds I preferred. I put the R69S in storage and bought a [gasp] Moto Guzzi.
Now that I am fully retired, I hope to have more time to get this reluctant motorcycle back to its former fun self. Hopefully, Airheads will help me in this effort.

Posted : 09/03/2019 12:58
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !!

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/05/2019 22:48

Advertisement

Scroll to top