Clear all

Need inspiration for 85 R80RT restoration

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Randall Zaibek
(@15090)
Topic starter

I’m in the process of a full bike breakdown and restore. Originally I was going to forgo putting back the fairing and make it simple. Starting to feel like I want to restore the bike fairing and all as that seems to be more increasingly unique. Does anyone have inspirational photos of innovative paint jobs for RxxRTbikes with fairings that do clever things with the creases and lines of the RT fairing?  Trying to improve on the 80’s style space mountain lines (or maybe embrace them)

thanks

Posted : 12/06/2020 10:35
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Hello Randall. I can’t offer much here, however, long ago I repainted an RS fairing with a little bit of a twist. I separated the three sections of the upper fairing. I painted the center section a nice gloss black. The right and left sections were painted body color (a red in this case).  I also painted the center grill section of the lower fairing gloss black, and body color on the right and left. Assembled, I thought it looked pretty cool. Don’t think I’ve seen it elsewhere.  Wish I had a pic for you. Just an idea. 

Posted : 12/06/2020 18:14
Randall Zaibek
(@15090)
Topic starter

@4949

thank you for that.  Just the kind of feedback I’m looking for. 

Posted : 12/07/2020 05:29
Richard W
(@wobbly)

In my experience, most Airhead re-paints try to mimic the OEM paint jobs, or they go for brighter, safer colors. I'm not aware of any of the type color schemes you're talking about. I'm not saying it shouldn't be considered, or wouldn't be worthwhile, simply that I'm not aware of where one might go to see examples. 

All the best.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/07/2020 09:16
Randall Zaibek
(@15090)
Topic starter

@wobbly

that definitely follows all the searches I’ve done. The custom trend of a rebuild seem to all err towards converting RS and RTs to a cafe racer. Thinking it could be more unique to try and embrace the fairing. 

Posted : 12/07/2020 09:27
Randall Zaibek
(@15090)
Topic starter

@8166  Thanks. That is hugely helpful. Especially your web site.  

Much appreciated 

Randy

Posted : 01/05/2021 11:06
Chris Brackney
(@epidoc)

I am finishing up a restoration of my 1980 RT - inspired by the 1980 R100S Exklusive with a Bavarian twist.

Should be done soon - finishing up the s-fairing and upgrading to 9.5:1 compression pistons.

Chris Brackney

Posted : 01/07/2021 21:34

Advertisement

Scroll to top