What can you tell me about 1983 R80GS ?

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Gregory Popovich
(@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Nice one for sale 15mins from my house. I've only ridden/owned R1100GS's & newer. I like the idea of a lighter, simpler bike. It looks to be all original 33k miles.

Posted : 12/04/2020 14:55
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

I really don’t know any specifics regarding that model, however, I have noticed over the years that ANY R80GS I see for sale anywhere gets snatched up quickly, and at a handsome price. I’d buy it for an investment if nothing else. 

Posted : 12/04/2020 16:24
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@4949 Thanks, I think it's a solid investment as well - (but I'll ride it all the time).

Posted : 12/04/2020 16:54
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Picked up the R80GS tonight - had the guy drive 2 miles from my house (I live in a gated community & only residents can ride bikes here) anyway rode home - tires 8 years old hard as rocks (I knew)  air pressure in both under 15lbs. He didn't care I guess = one of my points is no wonder people eat it? New tires tomorrow and change all fluids. 

Posted : 12/07/2020 21:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The best news is that it's running, and with exercise and fluid changes can only run better. Congrats !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/08/2020 05:41
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@wobbly

Yes, I think it was you that was complaining about previous owners total neglect? Today I flushed the front brake fluid it looked like motor oil. The brake feels great now. The front brake pads are worn to hell - going to replace with new tires - hopefully tomorrow. This thing was a death trap.

Posted : 12/09/2020 18:48
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Well, realize that everyone loves their Airheads. For some older riders there's a lingering hope that the health affliction dejour will miraculously evaporate, and that there might be one more year of riding. Time goes on, all the while wishful thinking turns into deferred maintenance. Then after 3 or 4 years comes the point where the bike is unsafe to ride, even if all the health issues totally disappeared. That's the point a lot of these bikes get posted for sale.

Luckily, Airheads are such quality that nothing is irreversible, and of such value that they are worth the investment.

Posted : 12/10/2020 12:22
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@wobbly I hear you & the only problem with your 99% accurate statement --was the previous owner could not have been over 40 years old. He just didn't give a hoot in hell. He went 7k miles/5years since last service. He rode it 20 miles in LA rush hour traffic to hand it off to me with 15lbs pressure in the tires & with a front brake you could pull all the way to the bars & it barely worked. Of course, to add to his safety - it was dark and he was in all black with open face black helmet.

Posted : 12/10/2020 13:51
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com

Of course, to add to his safety - it was dark and he was in all black with open face black helmet.

In the new upside-down world of social media driven consciousness, it seems "an ounce of appearance is worth a pound of performance". So, at least he looked good doing it.

Posted : 12/12/2020 05:49

Advertisement

Scroll to top