ABS Brakes & Traction Control?

7 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Gregory Popovich
(@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Do any of you think we're taking unnecessary risks riding older bikes without all the modern technology? I have a 1971 R75/5 that even has drum brakes - which are set up properly -- so they actually stop fairly well (I don't normally ride in the rain)? My 1978 R100s has pretty powerful disk brakes front & rear -- that stop very well.  

Just thinking out loud. Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted : 11/25/2020 15:12
Richard W
(@wobbly)

My bother and his buddies all ride later model K bikes with ABS. I get asked to look at their brakes all the time, and let me tell you that working on ABS is a royal PIA. So much so that even though I have all the fluid pumps and special wrenches to work on brakes, I won't do it. 

According to my brother, he's only felt the ABS kick in on 1 or 2 occasions. So it works out to be a lot of expensive hardware (that can fail) and added maintenance costs that rarely gets called on. 

Besides, all our bikes are approaching the half-century mark. If you're riding an Airhead as hot and heavy as a bike from 2015, then lack of ABS is the least of your problems. 

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/25/2020 15:40
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I hear you on the maintenance issues with the ABS - all the newer BMW's I've had - especially one - it was a 2009 GS the ABS warning light would come on and many times not reset no matter what I did - so off to the dealer I would have to go. I've had probably 5 bikes with ABS - ridden in pouring rain and I can't remember once having to brake so hard that the ABS activated (knock on wood).

Posted : 11/25/2020 16:54
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

For most of my miles there was no ABS and this probably applies to most long time Airheads. I rode in the rain (fifty miles from home on a motorcycle was always 100% chance of rain). We learned how and we survived. An airhead is not the modern marvel with a computer to handle traction control or braking errors by the rider. Ride accordingly. 

Bob

Posted : 11/26/2020 10:44
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@1872

"Ride accordingly." (nice words of wisdom) These days with people texting while they drive and all pissed off about covid 19, ect - I ride with Hi-Vis jacket - full gear - and act like I'm invisible and everyone's trying to hit me.

Posted : 11/26/2020 18:20
James Bussell
(@10385)
Trusted Member

When I was a kid in small town America, my Momma would kick me out of the house and did not expect to see me again until she called me for supper.

If a kid was kicked out of the house today without supervision, the police would be called. We grew up without all the protections in place and somehow survived.

Perceptions change and when our old airheads were born they were "modern". I ride with my drum brake bike knowing I have to accommodate for the lack of stopping power and knowing my front drums can lock up in the rain...and I don't worry about it.

Posted : 11/29/2020 10:08
James Bussell
(@10385)
Trusted Member

I hear you on the maintenance issues with the ABS - all the newer BMW's I've had - especially one - it was a 2009 GS the ABS warning light would come on and many times not reset no matter what I did - so off to the dealer I would have to go. I've had probably 5 bikes with ABS - ridden in pouring rain and I can't remember once having to brake so hard that the ABS activated (knock on wood).

I have a 97 R1100GS with ABS and the ABS hasn't worked in 15 years, but it still stops on a dime.

Posted : 11/29/2020 10:14

Advertisement

Scroll to top