6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Allan Laxdal
(@allan-laxdal)
Topic starter

Morning

Al Laxdal   Vancouver Island   BC      1991 R100GS

Have been lurking around here soaking things up so it is time to introduce myself.

Winter is on us and it is time to heat up the shop and see what I have gotten into, I know that I am impressed and enjoy the bike and am looking  forward to getting it sorted.

Posted : 10/30/2023 07:14
Eric Morales reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Mark -

Welcome ! Heartily agree you should do your own work (as much as you are able) so that you can learn the bike and head off larger issues. 

I worked professionally on Brit, Asian and German bikes and found that BMW's have a completely different maintenance priorities when being brought out of storage, as compared to their cousins. Typically, zero engine work is required. But there's a lengthy laundry list of other items to check which are itemized in the article listed below:

https://www.airheads.org/community/wrenching/new-owner-primer-tips-to-get-your-airhead-back-on-the-road/

The one big item that's always on the "to-do list" is repack all the bearings with new grease because the OEM German grease 40-years on turns to something akin to window caulk. So your steering may be stiff, the starter motor might not really "spin", and the wheel bearings may be in danger. Worth checking.

Above all, ask questions.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 10/31/2023 03:34
Allan Laxdal
(@allan-laxdal)
Topic starter

Thanks Richard

Yes looking forward to my winter, get up, coffee, go start the fire in the shop, coffee, read the news/research moto stuff, coffee, breakfast, coffee and out to the shop.

Added bearings to the list.  Checked out that article, looks like I have started on the problem first, bike stumbled either side of 3000 rpm with a slight throttle opening, new needle jet and jet needle helped, noticed the idle mixture screws are set way different lt at 3/4 of a turn rt at 3 turns, so a clean and new jets is in order.

I know next to nothing about the bikes history, last owner owned it for a little while and did nothing with it, it has been cared for by someone though new fuel hoses,seat, paint, tires etc so I will run into sorted out goodies as I go hopefully.

Thanks again, I had better go watch a carb video on Youtube!

Posted : 10/31/2023 10:54
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @allan-laxdal

Added bearings to the list.  Checked out that article, looks like I have started on the problem first, bike stumbled either side of 3000 rpm with a slight throttle opening, new needle jet and jet needle helped, noticed the idle mixture screws are set way different lt at 3/4 of a turn rt at 3 turns, so a clean and new jets is in order.

Next to never are the bearings or carb parts ever "bad". That is to say unusable. The Airhead is not from the age of the "disposable culture". Most of the parts you will encounter will only need cleaning... not replacing. Rubber parts, yes; bearings and jets, no.

Case in point, the head post bearings and starter bearings only need to washed in-place and then "repacked" with fresh, modern synthetic grease. Unless the bike was retrieved off the bottom of a lake, the bearings themselves will be in excellent shape. 

All the best.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/01/2023 08:03
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

Welcome Mark! Nice to see new member introducing themselves. Stay warm sir! Ha

V/R Eric

Posted : 11/01/2023 19:25
Allan Laxdal
(@allan-laxdal)
Topic starter

Thanks again Richard

This old farmer has repacked a few bearings though I probably  would have replaced them before your comment, will see how they look and save what I can.

Had another kick at the carbs yesterday, got them balanced/ idle right and it ran great till it warmed up, will have to post some questions in the proper place.

Posted : 11/02/2023 07:30

Advertisement

Scroll to top