Clear all

Oil pressure gauge

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Robert Dugan
(@robert-dugan)
Topic starter

I would like to add an oil pressure gauge to my 1977 r100. I am hoping someone will know what sender would work.

Posted : 07/09/2021 06:01
Richard W
(@wobbly)

My experience is this...

• Oil pressure gauges sound nice, but they become a focal point and distract the rider. Normal pressure behavior that wasn't a concern last year suddenly becomes the focus of concern and needles worry.
  • Yes, you should know your pressure, so once a year you can screw in a regular gauge in place of the sender, and log your pressure. But be sure and do this at the same ambient and engine temperature. 
  • Of far greater concern is proper fitment of the "$2000 white o-ring". The white o-ring has a far greater effect on the overall performance of the lubrication system, and it's 100% user controlled.
  • A distant second place on this list is using the correct oil, oil filter, and checking the condition of the oil by-pass valve. If you have an oil cooler, then you also need to add the operation of the thermal oil valve to the list.

The oil by-pass valve lives in the back of the oil filter recess

Hope this helps

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/10/2021 04:40
Robert Dugan
(@robert-dugan)
Topic starter

@wobbly thanks for the info. I'm aware of the temptation to focus on the gauge but I still would like to be able to keep an eye on the pressure. In years gone by I have seen them in some of the old airhead.

Posted : 07/10/2021 04:59
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

I know what Richard means. I’ve given serious thought to ditching my voltmeter SO I WILL QUIT LOOKING AT IT, instead of enjoying my ride. 

Posted : 07/10/2021 10:25
Richard W
(@wobbly)

If you are 'dead set' to do that, then look for a VDO electric unit (~$50). The engine-mounted "sender" must have a matching thread to the existing oil pressure switch, which I believe on later models is 10mm.

Any attempt to plumb this with plastic tubing to a liquid-operated oil pressure gauge will eventually create an oil leak that WILL put the bike on the side of the road. But you will not know this by watching the gauge. The self-inflicted oil leak will be detected by the front of your nice $400 riding jacket being covered in 20W50. At this juncture, the only repair that can be initiated will be to re-install the OEM pressure switch on the side of the road. So be sure and place that take-off unit (and the wrench and sealer required to do the job) into the tool box. 

Hope this helps.

Posted : 07/11/2021 04:38
Robert Dugan
(@robert-dugan)
Topic starter

@wobbly. I would only do it with an electric gauge. I also have a voltmeter but I don't watch it all the time. It's just better to me than the light. If I have to run oil lines then it will not be for me.

Posted : 07/11/2021 05:12
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @robert-dugan

@wobbly. I would only do it with an electric gauge. I also have a voltmeter but I don't watch it all the time. It's just better to me than the light. If I have to run oil lines then it will not be for me.

Did I ever tell you how intelligent you are ? 

If you knew how many times people paid me to install liquid-type oil pressure gauges. Then for the next 6 months they ask question after question about why is the pressure doing such and such. Then the hose springs a leak, they get covered in oil, and they come back asking me to remove the whole setup, and go back to original. It's really rather humorous.

If you must do it, then electric is the way to go. But, buy the sender unit first to make sure it can be installed. Clearances are deceptively tight at the oil pressure switch location. 

Hope this helps.

Posted : 07/11/2021 06:34
Robert Dugan
(@robert-dugan)
Topic starter

@wobbly thanks for the reply. From what I can find the threads are12 x1.5 but so far no luck finding the sending unit

Posted : 07/11/2021 08:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

This is how it starts. ? 

You'll most likely need to fabricate a thread adapter. If you have an old leaky oil pressure switch, you can bust off the plastic cap and silver solder an M12 female adapter to that. Or cast around on the internet for a thread adapter.

Hope this helps.

Posted : 07/12/2021 06:32

Advertisement

Scroll to top