Clear all

Oilheads in the ABC?

25 Posts
21 Users
37 Likes
James Bussell
(@10385)
Trusted Member

I have an oilhead GS and even though I do adjust the valves and do other "light" things (swapping clutch, etc)...I have never considered ripping into the engine, as I have no problem doing with my airheads. The complexity that was added to these designs make it less "user friendly" and a totally different experience...I guess they seem too modern to be in this club.

Jim

Posted : 10/01/2022 07:00
Joe Hall reacted
Billy Mearns
(@5059)

I have always owned and ridden airheads. I briefly had a Yamaha back in the 80s and a wonderful K75 for about 10 years in this current century. I currently only own (and ride) two airheads. As for this topic, I would like the club to be 100% focused on “airheads”. As for membership, I would like it open to anyone who loves that focus. There maybe someone out there who can only have an airhead in their dreams. I would feel bad if we deprived them of our comradery. I feel bad about any rule that might encourage someone to lie about whether or not they currently own an airhead. This may be an insignificant lie but will still add a little bad Mojo to the Universe.

Posted : 10/17/2022 13:16
Ran Bush reacted
Ran Bush
(@7191-2-2-2-2-2)
Eminent Member

David said: " ... deny them membership because they ride or own a Vulcan, or, no longer own a Concours? No. Can COG still maintain their core vision and focus on the Concours while still including others that may buy an airhead in the future or have previously owned one in the past? Of course. I see no reason why Airheads could not either. "

Thanks for your thoughts and COG experience, David. I agree with you.

Sometimes I ride my K75S or a Harley to our monthly Barley Therapy because it's that bike's turn to get some exercise. Other club members ride Oilheads or a Suzuki to the Barley Therapy. Do we make them sit at another table? No.

I also sometimes ride my R1200 to Death Valley or the MOA National Rally because it's very comfortable on long rides. I ride my R100RS or R90S to other club events and on multi-day rides.

Canon #5 says, "Airheads are earthy people who like to camp." If I stay at a motel or a KOA cabin, do I risk being kicked out of the club?

I think it is short-sighted to exclude people that are interested in Airheads from the club, just because they don't currently own an Airhead.

Ran Bush - Nor Cal Airmarshal

ABC #3484

Posted : 12/10/2022 13:22
Joe Hall reacted
Doyle Smith
(@7596)

Stick with the Airheads.

I  have considered getting an Oilhead, but the fact that BMW Motorrad NA let our local NW Arkansas dealer atrophy, has put me off the idea. I'm pretty good with a wrench but I don't want to maintain (other than oil changes and valves) a complex motorbike.

W. Doyle Smith

Posted : 12/29/2022 14:21
Joe Hall reacted
Michael Lucas
(@14004)

I had an oilhead at one time, and it ran great (when it ran at all).  But as others have mentioned, for anything beyond simple repairs they really need to be serviced by a licensed dealer, and that meant renting a trailer and hauling it about 70 miles. 

That said, airheads have their quirks and caveats too, some of which are not obvious to would-be wrenchers, and some of which can result in damage, danger and cost if handled incorrectly.  For that reason, this should remain a place where we can share (and complain about 🙂 them, without the info being lost in a flood of non-airhead-related posts. 

I regularly ride a 94 R100RT and I've learned to stop and ask before doing something unusual to it.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Michael Lucas

Posted : 01/03/2023 10:03
Joe Hall and David Elkow reacted
William McIlhattan
(@sidecarwilliam)

I really don't care who is in the ABC as long as it stays a club about airheads.

I have had my two /2s since the 70's and still enjoy them but, they are not my main ride.  They do not fulfill my needs for camping etc...  I do like to ride them for fun around the city and other near in rides.

My memberships dues are due and with all this in fighting I think I will spend more time and money with the Vintage BMW group.

I also belong to the Vietnam Vets of America and they are having the same fight.  I don't care there either.

I will continue to enjoy my bikes and Manchester and other camping events and Ladds Tech Day without the Airmail.  I will miss it though.

bill.

Posted : 01/12/2023 19:21
Dave Strachan
(@1669)

I would vote for no Oilhead involvement in this particular community.  There are other groups that are available.  Online Airmail..... also a no vote. One of the reasons I joined was to access Oaks wealth of knowledge regarding our airheads, and I respect his( and now his Wifes) wishes that his content should not go on the web. 

Posted : 01/13/2023 08:33
Dean Klein
(@371)
Eminent Member

I'm "down" to two Airheads and one Oilhead, an R850R.  The R850R is the perfect Poverty Rider bike.

Hear me out.

4 valve head.  What every airhead rider wanted in the 80's.  Triple Brembo Brakes.  Just like a good RS or any later airhead.

Mind you the front end is different... but it works.

Oh, and No Canbus, no ABS, just a fuel injected (something offered by Luftmeister back in the day)

You can pick them up daily for $2k.  Nationally.

Posted : 01/24/2023 05:14
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

@wobbly Today's rider rides Japanese motorcycles.

These machines are relics. Today's rider won't touch them. I fear the new board majority will expand membership to non airhead owners, thus replacing airhead owners.

Eventually they will replace airheads altogether along with the Airhead owners opposed to them.

The focus of the board seems to be expanding their power and minimizing attention to Airheads.

Posted : 02/03/2023 08:25
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

I like the ABC to be all about airheads. I think it makes sense to keep it as owning airheads but as a lot of members age out we will be losing more members. I think it probably would also work if members were just interested in airheads. 

I own an oilhead and 2 airheads and am a member in other organizations that include them all and that's fine but it is certainly a different kind of club. I own a couple of KTM's too and that's a whole different ballgame. 

Posted : 03/17/2023 05:28
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top