Clear all

Left Handle bar switch

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Tony Cash
(@tony-cash)
Topic starter

So i have a new switch shell and am trying to remove the old switches it came with. Something is holding them in still, is there a pin or??

Posted : 05/15/2024 14:24
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

Are you asking about taking the guts out of the old switch to replace with a new cover?  Or are you having an issue with just removing the switch from the handlebar?    

If the latter, there is a filter head screw threaded into the assembly that holds the switch to the handle bar control unit.  it is hare to see as it is on the bottom of the handlebar control.   I use a mirror and light combo to see it.  St.

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 05/15/2024 15:46
Tony Cash
(@tony-cash)
Topic starter

The former, i want to get the guts of the old switch out of the housing.  

Posted : 05/15/2024 16:15
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I don't want to discourage you, but, my friend, this is not the way to save money. BMW stands for "bring more wallet" and there are times you simply need to buy the new part. If not from BMW then from Motorrad Eliktrik.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/16/2024 05:22
Tony Cash
(@tony-cash)
Topic starter

I did not see any on his website but i have reached out. The original switchgear i have works fine, just struggling with this cover. I have the old one off but getting the new one to mate is a struggle

Posted : 05/16/2024 11:59
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

It's been a long time since I tried to take a similar switch apart, I didn't have any luck.  I found that some things are easy to take apart but unless you have the proper jigs and tools used at the factory, they may not go back together so easy.  Or I needed a third hand.

I honestly can't remember if there is anything else you can do to get further, my memory is gone on that account.

Sadly, many of the /7 switch gear as of a few years ago had been No Longer Available or NLA at BMW..I have not been on EME  or Siebenrock's websites in a bit but they were bringing NLA parts back into production and sale, it might be a good idea to take a look and see what they have to offer.

If you want, post some more picture from different angles and the other side, maybe they will jog my memory as to how I got my switch apart.  I got it apart but not back together,  so I can't help you there at all. 

I like MotoradElectiik but no he does not stock switches as such.  Good luck and hunting St.

Posted : 05/16/2024 17:16
Tony Cash
(@tony-cash)
Topic starter

@wobbly he has none, long gone

Posted : 05/16/2024 17:49
Tony Cash
(@tony-cash)
Topic starter

@14724 i got the guts out, used a dremel. Now to persevere with the shell or find a used one

Posted : 05/16/2024 17:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @tony-cash

@wobbly he has none, long gone

Then, there are numerous motorcycle scrap yards adverrtising on eBay. Find one that has several Airhead parts and contact them. Keep in mind that some of the '94 and '95 model switches vary only by the connector. I have bought switches for a later models, cut off the box connector, then crimped on 1/4" spade terminals and been back in business.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/18/2024 06:00
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

As Richard says, BMW keeps the wire colors the same for the same functions during year changes.  And to boot, for a number of years switches interchange on the handle bar perch the same way.  

If you want to experiment, or try to use a newer switch, EME may have one in stock.  While some older switches are NLA, some newer year bike units are available new.  St.

Posted : 05/20/2024 05:25

Advertisement

Scroll to top