Clear all

Low RPM Charging/Urban Riding

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
15.6 K Views
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Wobbly, Any problems with frying your circuit board or wiring insulation? How hot does the headlamp shell get? Really wondering how much heat the LED generates.

No problems to report at all
with the Cyron H4. The headlamp shell gets warm after several hours due to the heat from the voltage converter, but not anything near hot. The air comes out the sides of the fan unit and does not blow directly onto the circuit board in the '79. The headlamp shell on the '88 is basically empty, so there is nothing to worry about there.

There is some very minor whirring fan noise you hear in the garage, or when you first turn ON the key before the engine cranks, but it is lost in the wind when riding.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/19/2017 01:08
Richard W
(@wobbly)

You'll NOT want a red LED for your tail/brake light if it doubles duty to illuminate your license plate. Check to see if the bottom of your taillight lens is clear.

Not aware of any particular need to illuminate your tag using ONLY white light. Especially when you consider the number of colored tag covers, and strange tag mounting positions on custom street bikes that aren't illuminated at all !

If red tag lighting bothers you, then get the $60 LED tail lamp circuit board from MotorradElectrik. It has a row of white LEDs just for tag illumination. See.... http://motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

🙂

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/19/2017 01:17
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member

I was having similar problems and am in the process of changing the bulbs as recommending here. I also installed a cut off on the negative terminal. this is a large hand twistable nut that will disconnect the negative terminal from the system. I find this will guarantee that the battery isolated and nothing bad can happen. Also a bit of a theft deterrent too. Excellent advice as always, thanks.

Posted : 05/08/2018 08:24
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top