Clear all

Model number plate on the engine.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
John Canfield
(@3596)
Topic starter

The model number plates for my R90/6 have come off the engine. I don’t know how this happened. It was in the shop foe several weeks and when I went to pick it up the man said that they had come off. So now I need to know how to reattach them to the engine.

Posted : 12/17/2023 12:35
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

3M plastic and emblem adhesive. I bought my tube at NAPA many years ago. Kinda pricey. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 12/18/2023 07:57
Richard W
(@wobbly)

This happens all the time. I lost a set one time on a test ride and had to buy 2 off eBay... which cost more than I had charged for the repair ! So really, you should consider yourself lucky. You have several options....

• The original way to do this is with the gooey, stringy 3M adhesive in a tube. The pain is you need to scrape both parts to remove the old adhesive and then several cleanings with a strong solvent. There can't be any residual oil in either metal part. After that I would highly advise sanding both surfaces so that the adhesive can 'get a grip'.

• The last one I did was done with the 0.9" wide super-duper 3M double-sided foam tape. HERE !  The same surface prep and cleaning prep applies. They are still holding 5 years later.

• You can drill through the emblem and the starter cover and install the emblem with black M3 pan head screws and nuts.

• On my 1979 R100 the emblems were cast into (made as part of) the starter cover. They weren't as pretty, but they didn't ever come off either ! You might give eBay a quick search with "Airhead starter cover" and see what turns up. (See eBay item number:115958307239 )

Hope this helps.

This post was modified 4 months ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/18/2023 08:40

Advertisement

Scroll to top