Clear all

My 82 r100rs has no spark

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Michael Nordloh
(@m-nordloh)
Topic starter

My 82 r100rs has no spark. I’m looking for some info on what I have as the ignition components so as to start the process of elimination.

Posted : 06/05/2018 09:01
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Pull plug caps.Measure resistance from one to the other, putting the meter leads inside the cap and make certain it makes contact. Should read around 20K ohms. If open, pull wires from coil and test individually to determine if one is open or if the coil is open. Otherwise the ICU or Hall Sensor may be bad. With ignition on, plug out of hole and grounded carefully against the cylinder, flick the kill switch on and off if it sparks, the ICU is likely good.
All of this is assuming there is no spark at all, not intermittent.

Bob

Posted : 06/05/2018 18:29
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Pull plug caps.Measure resistance from one to the other, putting the meter leads inside the cap and make certain it makes contact. If open, wire from coil and test individually to determine if one is open or if the coil is open. Should read around 20K ohms. Otherwise the ICU or Hall Sensor may be bad. With ignition on, plug out of hole and grounded carefully against the cylinder, flick the kill switch on and off if it sparks, the ICU is likely good.
All of this is assuming there is no spark at all, not intermittent.

Bob

Posted : 06/05/2018 18:29
Richard W
(@wobbly)

If you have the BMW electronic ignition, then the tan 3-pin connector between the "bean can" and the harness sometimes disintegrates. Rick Jones at Motorad Elictrik sells a pig tail which will restore the connector and spark.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/06/2018 01:21

Advertisement

Scroll to top