Question on filling final drive for 88 R100RS

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Mark Malin
(@18720)
Eminent Member Customer Registered
Topic starter

I'm going to change the final drive fluid on my 88 R100RS.  See picture attached for how my bike is configured.  Clymers was not clear due to the fact that it covers several arrangements.  The drain plug is obvious (at the bottom of the final drive housing).  My question is for filling it.  When filling the fluid do I fill through the plug at the BACK of the final drive (see picture), and fill it with fluid until it reaches the level of this hole?  In other words, is this like on the transmission (fill until it starts running out of the fill hole)?

Thanks in advance

Mark

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Richard W

Posted : 03/20/2024 18:40
Mark Malin
(@18720)
Eminent Member Customer Registered
Topic starter

Here's a picture of the drain plug, just fyi

This post was modified 1 month ago by Richard W

Posted : 03/20/2024 18:42
Richard W
(@wobbly)

► On the later model bikes (like yours) there are 3 plugs on the final drive housing....

Fill (which also doubles as a breather). On the very top (12 o'clock position). Remove this plug to add oil.

Fill Level. (9 o'clock position) Either measure the oil being added, or use this hole to achieve the correct oil level.

(This is where your red arrow is pointing in your photo.)

Drain. (6 o'clock position) Remove this plug to drain oil. 

I highly suggest that you use a 6 or 12-point box wrench to work with these 3 plugs. Open-end wrenches will quickly round the flats on these 3  plugs.

DO NOT get ham-fisted with the torque on these 3 plugs. Follow the torque specs listed in your manual. More is not better. You can easily strip these threads out of the housing, which will force complete disassembly. 

► No not forget to change the oil in the drive shaft housing, which is the same oil, but NOT part of the Final Drive oil supply. You must measure this oil before installation. I suggest a baby bottle if you have no other way of measuring 150cc.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/21/2024 07:56
Mark Malin reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top